Mean 4-Year Old

My 4-year old niece is ver articulate and bright, but when she is corrected, even very gently, she responds with name calling and then finishes with "you're not my friend." She does this to EVERYONE. She also spits out her tongue. When her uncle very gently and nicely pointed out that she was putting her shoes on the wrong feet, she yelled at him "You're a loser. Don't tell me what to do. Go away. You're not my friend." Her mom tries to make her apologize, but the child will not do it. Time-outs don't work, taking away fun privileges don't work. Any advice would be appreciated.

Get the book "How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk" by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish. It's helped me with my 7 year old soon to be step-son as well as all the other relationships in my life. It's basic, effective & something you can do even if you are not her Parent.

Sounds like she is not getting the firm and consistant response at home. This means a consequence, every single time. Many parents have a very hard time doing this seemingly simple thing. I would try firstly an instant consequence, something boring and unpleasant but totally manageable (and portable) examples: time out facing the wall (one minute per year of age) or push-ups are great! You are right that these consequences won't work ... unless they are totally consistant. No discussion, no arguing, no talking. Only threaten a consequence that can be carried out on site. Second, remind her that she will not have ANY friends if she behaves that way and that she will be lonely when this happens. People will not like her or want to play with her. Don't sugar coat this one to her even though she is young because it is very true. I have met adults who behave this way and they are lonely. Stress this social consequence to her, even when it is not an immediate issue by taking every opportunity to point out how unpleasant it is when others behave that way and also when others accept corrections/input with grace and how nice that is - especially people she admires like a big sister or even a tv character. There are lots of kid movies that really show the importance of being able to accept guidance and input from others so try to find those themes and point them out to her. Emphasize that helping people is a positive thing that people do because they care about each other even if sometimes it feels uncomfortable. Good luck on this one.

If she does that, her world comes crashing down. Figure out what matters to her and that's gone or over. In our son's case, it's video games, so if he backtalks or has other bad behavior, no more video game time that day. At the same time, he earns video game time for good behavior. You do need the balance there.

Our son's behavioral therapist has recommended another strategy that we've used that also works. Child says something horrible or misbehaves, just keep repeating, "I'm not going to talk to you until you apologize for what you said/pick up your toys/etc." Then repeat it over and over word for word until the action is made. Our son craves attention, this really bothered him and would finally do what we said.

Wish them good luck! I know first hand how hard it is to have a spirited child!

Hi E. K,
This niece of yours has the tendency to become a "beastly problem child". Nip it in the bud right now and right away.
When she name calls she must be removed from the area and also apologize immediately to the person. Also inform her YOU are not her friend and her MOM is not her friend, Her RELATIVES ARE NOT HER FRIENDS. She has to make friends at school. And she has to respect her family and all whom she encounters in this life. Take everything away from her that she likes, since time-outs don't work.
Patti B.

I would recommend checking out the work of Gordon Neufeld about attachment and behavior. His book is called HOLD ON TO YOUR KIDS. It is actually pretty normal for a child that age NOT to respond to any person but a parent (you didn't mention how she responds to her parents.) It's called counterwill and can actually be protective for a child. I have a 4 year old who is VERY spirited and independant. We took a class about preschoolers from one of Neufeld's proteges and we have seen such a big shift in his behavior--and we have focused mostly on our connection with out son. Behavior modification was not really part of what we did. The change came as a result of improving the relationship, and being aware of our child's senstivity.

When I first read his book, I really wasn't sure how to implement the suggestions, but thew class really helped. It's called Understanding Preshcoolers, and it is from Transformative Parenting in Marin. www.transformativeparenting.com.

Hope that is helpful!
E. Bender, NC, CHN
www.nutritionforthewholefamily.com

WOW!
#1 Try a Different Approach to Correction
#2 Address the Name Calling
#3 Address the Tongue
#4 Address the "You're Not My Friend"

#1
Maybe very little spoken words for correction will work better with her. For instance, with the shoes - just point at them (or place both hands on them) and say "switch" with a motion of the hands. Then walk away.

#2
The name calling has GOT to stop. Pleasantly, but expressively, say, "Wow! How do you you think that makes me feel?" or "Did you just raise your voice to me?" or "Do you think Jesus would be happy to hear your mean words?"

I have a very forward 6 year old boy who is 'candid' in speech, but questions such as the examples above stop him in his tracks and he is nearly always remorseful. "Sorry, Momma", he'll say.

#3
When the tongue comes out, say "Come here - let me see that thing". You could go in either direction, making fun such as, "I think something is wrong with this thing - hey, momma/auntie/daddy (or whoever) come over here and take a look at this". Once you get a laugh or a giggle, then address how rude it is to stick out a tongue and remind her of the real purpose for a tongue with a simple, quick conversation asking her not to do it again. OR you could go in another direction, and put a dab of hot sauce on it! When she tells you how it burns, tell her that's how her mean words, or her rude behavior, feels in your heart!

#4
To the "You're Not My Friend!" comment, say - "That's okay, I have enough love for both of us". Or, "That's okay, Jesus is my friend and He has enough love for all of us."

Hope that helps! I've had my share of TRY TO BE sassy children! But consistency in addressing these concerns has breeded a healthy respect in our family. It may be a good idea to address any older children (or parents) about their speech (afterall, how does a 4 year old get hold of the phrase "you're a loser!") Remind older children that the younger ones are sponges AND parrots! Be good examples!

Mother of Four: 18 yr girl, 11 yr boy, 6 yr boy, a baby on the way. Married to a patient, fun-loving husband, whose been creative with me in addressing such concerns with all of our children!

If her mom doesn't follow through on the expectation of an apology, the child will never see the importance of it. Mom needs to follow through. You can try reading with her and pointing out nice ways the characters say things to each other, accept cricicism or correction, etc., but if she is living in a world where she "gets away with everything," there's not much you can do. Is her mom your sister? Maybe you could talk to her about getting parenting support through a community class or something. It's hard to be a mom, and your niece's family probably could use some help.

Give her a few minutes to calm down after a bout of "attitude" then get down to her level and ask her if she knows what she just did, or said, means. Ask her if someone has said those things to her and if so then how it made her feel to hear someone say she was not their friend anymore. Tell her it hurts daddy feelings when she says things like that to him. More importantly, he needs to give her a really sad face and say that hurts my feelings to hear you say that.

I find there is a time and a place for physical discipline but at the age of four playing on their emotions and making them “feel” the consequences works better. After all don’t we expect our children to “use their words” to display their emotions and get what they want, instead of hitting or biting. And if we do not teach them how to use words they hear, like your not my friend, or go away, then they will not learn the proper way to express their feelings.

She has heard some new phrases and probably did not like how they made her feel, so she is testing an adult to see how they react to it. I remember when I was about nine I heard the word bastard for the first time and while my dad was tickling me and we were playing I said you’re such a bastard, while laughing. Obviously not the correct use of the word <grin>! After saying it about three times he stopped playing and the fun was over. My mom came into the room and very sternly said J. Michelle, we do not use that word and that is was not a nice thing to say. I don’t really remember the next thing she said, if anything, but I remember feeling bad that I had said something not nice to my dad and never said it again!!

Empathy is a tough thing to teach, but now is the age and putting aside our initial shock, or anger and help them analyzing their thoughts and feelings and put words to them.

Good luck!!

Man oh man...I would NEVER allow my kids to speak to ANYONE like that. I'm not suggesting anyone "lets" her do it, but has anyone ever told her very FIRMLY, "Don't EVER speak to Uncle -- like that!" Then pull her close, give her a hug, and explain why we speak nicely to each other.(There's a scripture that say something like "reprimand with sharpness then show an increase in love afterwards so they don't esteem you as an enemy".) then tickle her and say "isn't that right? we love you! and we love Uncle! and we love mom! and we love dad!" you get the idea. Misbehavior comes from an unmet need, and with words like the ones she's using, it sounds like she's been spoken to like that and needs someone to assure her that she's loved. (? I'm not a psycologist, but maybe I should have been?)
I've use "bench" time-different than time outs- with my kids since they were small. You need to have a designated "bench" (ours is just a place in the hall). When a child misbehaves, she is told to " sit on bench". The child can not talk, play, etc. or get up, until THEY EXPLAIN HOW THEY WILL CHANGE THEIR BEHAVIOR! It could be 2 minutes or 2 hours! I don't tell them why they are bench, they already know, alright...she's smart! This puts the responsibility on the child, to recognize they are wrong, and decide they would rather choose the right behavior, than sit on bench. This technique was taught to some friends of mine by a child psychologist. It saved their sanity and their family with 7 kids!
LOVE CONQUERS ALL! but behavior modification helps. Good luck!

1 / 3