Max Number of Students in Texas Public Schools

Just wondering if anyone knows, or can point me in the right direction, of the max number of students in TX public schools. Or is it different in every district? I just found out that my daughter's elementary will have 26...that's a lot. Then, my MIL said someone she knows is teaching at a Round Rock middle school and she will have 45. That just sounds insane!!!

House Bill 18 was voted on yesterday, and did not pass, which is a good thing. It would have repealed a law that sets a limit on k-4 classes in Texas at a 22-1 ratio. As far as I know, there isn't a limit on size after that, but I could be wrong. I know that my son's classes have been huge in Jr. High, and I teach 11th and 12th grade, and also have huge classes. I hope this helps. You may be able to find more information on the Texas Education Agency website.

It is 22 for k-4th but districts may get waivers. When I was a team leader I could have 24. Where did you hear 26? If it is the gossip in the neighborhood, call the district office and find out for sure. I know a teacher who taught kinder in California for several years and had 30 kids in her class.

Hello,

The Senate has just passed a measure to increase the class size to 25, see below, stillhas to pass the House. Currently the max is 22 in K-2. I think it is critical we keep the class size to 22 since in my mind that is enough for one teacher to manage. Unfortunately state budget cuts are causing a lot of changes for the state and ultimately the school districts.

DALLAS, TX (KERA) - The Texas Senate has passed a measure that allow schools to increase elementary class sizes and move quicker to dismiss teachers to help ease budget strains.

The measure must now pass the House. The Legislature is meeting in special session to pass new school finance laws to balance the budget. Lawmakers are reducing the state's obligation to school districts by $4 billion.

Republican Sen. Florence Shapiro said the bill passed Monday would give school administrators more flexibility in adjusting to the budget cuts. Teacher groups argue smaller class sizes result in better education and oppose raising the limit.

The current limit is 22 students and has been state law for nearly 30 years. The proposed change would allow schools to seek waivers to raise the limit to 25.

Right now the current class limit is 22 (K-4) but wavers are available for larger class sizes. There are bills being considered to raise this limit to 25. Middle school doesn't have the same requirements, nor does High School.

All the responses below are correct, but have some confidence in your school principal. The principal will usually only add extra students (once the waiver has been approved) to a teacher who has the experience and skills to manage a larger class. In many cases, the school enrollment fluctuates massively during the first two weeks of school, so it is irresponsible for principals to hire an extra teacher and then discover the classes all work out within the states limits. This only applies for K-4 in texas.

My kids are in middle and high schools and both are in Pre-AP classes, I also sub at the middle school and see many levels of classrooms. I agree that if you want your student in a smaller class, stay in Pre-AP and AP classes. I subbed in a art class that had 37 8th graders and 26 of them were boys! Believe it or not, they did great for me that day but the teacher told me that class was exhausting for her.

In the front part of the bus it has a plaque that states how many students can be on the bus. If it fits 45 then it will have as many a s possible up to that number. They just can't afford the fuel for the buses without maxing out the occupancy.

I"m not sure about that. I know my nieces 5th grade class had about 30. I think there is a limit for K-4. I agree...call the Texas Education Agency, or search around on their website. I know in high school (ten years ago, for me) I had massive classes.

I believe the state only sets limits on elementary class size (k-4)

1 / 3