Maternity Leave with No Pay

how can i go about getting help with my rent, electric, car insurance and car payment while on maternity leave and i wont have any income coming in for that period of time which is about 6 to 8 weeks or until the doctor releases me.I have wic already and medicaid already and i cant apply for child support until after he is born and then wont recieve that until the court is over it takes about a month or longer my car i just got is a 1997 i pay 120 every 2 weeks and i have liability insurance already i dont have cable or a cell phone bill either. he will be my first child i need help?

S.,

Have you heard of Community Action Program, they can help, I just don't know to what extent. Hope this helps!

You have received some good advice. Have you been in contact with a local crisis pregnancy center? If not, there is one in Garland, Metro Family Pregnancy Center, ###-###-####. We (I volunteer there) won't be able to help with with money. If you are still pregnant (and it sounds like you are) you can be set up as a client and then will be able to receive help with other baby related items as they are available - baby cribs, car seats, strollers, baby formula, diapers, baby and maternity clothes, etc. As long as we have what you need, you are more than welcome to it. There is also a food pantry in the same building.

Try calling 2-1-1. This is United Way's clearinghouse for social services referrals. You prob won't reach them til after the holiday weekend. Good luck.

You can go on state disability. Thats what I did...I also had some paid time off saved so between the two I was able to get a "full check" every two weeks. If your employer doesn't have a paid time off program, check into state disability and also I hate to say it ...welfare, our gonvernment put these programs in place to help people in need....If you don't have anyone to help you financially you may qualify for some assistance. Hope this helps :)

A friend of mine got help through TANF (not sure what it stands for but it's gov't aid). You can apply through the medicaid office. She also got help with childcare when she went back to work, I think. I don't know details, but I know it really helped out my friend, since she was put on bedrest at the end of her pregnancy, and ended up being out of work for about 5 months. You should be able to look it up on the state website.

S.,
Please don't take this as I am beating you up. My heart goes out to you; however, you ARE very young, especially to have two children and be a single mom. This is not just for you but all young ladies. If you plan on being a single parent, please have a plan in place; i.e., either family assistance or some sort of savings for instances just like this. It is way too easy to get dependent on government assistance and way too difficult to become undependent. I know you can become independent of governement assistance, my mom was a single mom of two and had to count on the government from time to time, but it wasn't easy. I truly wish you the best.

You have received some excellent advice. The one thing that I would add is that once your baby is born, you need to get on some good birth control. Having another child that you can't support is not a good idea.

I'm not sure which county you live. But when I was on maternity leave without pay I got assistance from the county. All you need is a letter from your physician, proof of utilities and rent, and proof that you have a job. My bills were paid for three months, but that did not include my car note. I'll get the information and send you another response. All I remember it was in the Dallas County Health and Human Services bldg. If you don't stay in dallas county I'm sure they can refer you.

You need to pile up cash while you can. Can you work another job? Can you work overtime where you are? Can you cut out things that aren't essential (cable, cell phone, turn the AC up to 78, keep lights off, no eating out, eat beans & rice b/c they are cheap, etc.) Cut all the costs you can and pile up cash for while you aren't working. If you contribute to a 401K, stop contributing for now so you have extra cash. Really think about where you are spending your money and what is actually a need vs. a want. New maternity clothes is a want, not a need. You may have to sacrifice some, but that's what you do when you are a grown up. You have to have a plan to take care of yourself and maintain that. I would encourage you to attend Dave Ramsey's financial peace University so that you will have a plan in place for the future.

DIAL 2-1-1 EXT 1 - 24/7 HELP LINE FOR MEDICAID - they will answer your questions

http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/Help/index.html

This is the Medicaid site. Possibly they will help you while you are out but you need to do it now.
Ask for WIC - for pregnant mothers and babies. This will help provide food.

1 / 3