Material to Use Under the Playset ( Mulch, Pebbles,Grass)

Anyone out there ready to give my you best advise for material to use under the playset.
Cost and tracking in the dirt are my big concerns.

Just let me know what you think.

Hi J. one of my girlfriend's was in the same situation and she is looking into rubber mulch..... I belive the website is www.rubbermulch.com hope this helps- good luck!

Rubberized mulch!! It's soft and doesn't blow away so you don't have to buy it every year. Also the kids don't really play in it like pea gravel or sand. It is a more expensive product but you save in the long-run.

You should look into rubber mulch. It does not blow away(like wood mulch so it does not need to be added to/replaced) and it is soft for children to land on. It also does not harbor bugs, since they do not like to live in it. You should check out rubberplaymulch.com

Hope this helps!

Rubber mulch is the best in my opinion. The regular mulch gives slivers, the pebbles can hurt when the kids fall and the grass is ok but it will wear out especially in the swing area. We have had rubber mulch for the past 5 years and we love it. It comes in a hand full of different colors and so far seems to be lasting forever.

Use rubber mulch not the kind you put around flowers otherwise you will have bugs around your kids. I would not put down bebbles otherwise when the fall they will dig into their knees and such. Grass is good too

I would suggest pea gravel. It doesnt hurt your feet that much and it looks nice. Mulch you would have to worry about splinters and it sticks to shoes and clothes

Rubber mulch! We have it under our playset and it was more expensive ( we used 90 bags!) then we planned but it doesn't need to be replaced like regular mulch. It doesn't blow away or get bugs either. I know it can be found at Home Depot or Menards. We dug down about 6 inches and removed the sod/soil that is why we ended up using so much. But it is great protection if the kids fall and NO splinters!

We had grass under our swingset until my daughter fell and broke her arm last summer. Now we (and when I say we, I mean my husband!) actually dug out the sod a few inches all the way around the playset and layered it back up with playground mulch. We looked into the rubber matting, nice but very expensive. Like I said, we have quite a few inches of mulch, so we have not had to replace any. It has not broken down like the landscaping mulch does. And we do not have a bug problem. We also have had no problem with it being tracked anywhere else besides the play area. You can actually find ratings for the ground coverings....like at a 6 foot fall, with so many inches off protection, no bones are supposed to get broken, etc.

i was told by our landscaper that anything you put down such as pebbles, sand, mulch will look nice at first, but the weeds will creep in & you will not have that look for long. he was adament that we just allow our grass to fill in & we mow it and weed eat all around it. Seems he was right, as many playsets we've noticed in the area are pretty "messy".

There is something called rubber mulch. My friend has it under her playset and it is wonderful ! There is no dust or dirt. I am not sure of the cost vbut I am sure that it is worth whatever it costs. It looks just like mulch but it is made out of rubber, Good luck !

1 / 3