Maple Syrup Smell

My 8 1/2 month old son has developed a maple syrup smell in the last few days. He was checked for MSUD as an infant and it came back negative. But, of course, I am worried that something is horribly wrong with my son. The smell is definitely in his diaper and it is not constant. We are going to the doctor hopefully later today, but I thought I would see if any of you had similar experiences and could help calm my worrisome nerves! By the way, I don't take any herbal supplements.

I also agree with the fenugreek idea. My sweat smells like maple syrup when I take More Milk Plus to boost my milk supply.

www.ReadandGrow.com

I am no expert, but I have heard that it could be a sign of diabetes. I don't know where I heard it or how accurate that is. I hope that's not the case for you.

I have smelled that smell many times. I have three kids and do daycare. It's definitely from the diaper. I really don't think it's anything to worry about. I joke that it's much better when the diapers smell like pancakes then when they smell like something else(LOL). What you eat definitely has an effect on how everything smells when it comes back out.

Does he eat Cheerios? The girl I babysit for eats lots of them and her pee always smells like it after. Especially when she has the honey nut kind.

Same question as the first response. I was taking Fenu Greek to pump up my breast milk production and it caused both myself and my little one to smell like Maple Syrup....have you been taking any supplements?

The only time my son had the same smell was when I was taking fenugreek for milk production. Are you taking any herbal supplements or vitamins?

1 / 3