Mammogram at the Mall

Has anyone had a mammogram at Macy's, like the James center at Easton Mall? Do you think I'd be sacrificing quality for the convenience of 10 minute drive?

Thanks for all your responses. The location in Macy's is one of the satellite locations for Ohio State University's Cancer Center. It was on the list of options given to me by my OB-GYN, but I wanted to hear someone's personal experiences. I'm always interested in second (and third) opinions :)

You can not give a mammogram unless you are a licensed mammographer. So no, you would not be sacrificing quality. Any mammographer would be a trained "expert". Mammo's are becoming very popular for women to get and like with anything, the more convinient the better. That does not mean you are sacrificing quality, simply because the same equipment used in a doctor's office is available elswhere.

Mammogram at the mall??? No, I certainly have not. I go to a breast center at my hospital. I prefer to have all of the experts where I am going.

I am a mammographer and mobile units have to meet the same qualifications of any other facility as far as quality. My concern would be if the facility will be around if you need follow up views? the radiologists reading the films or images if digital, do a better job if they can compare your previous films or images so that they can monitor changes that occur. how is the mobile unit storing the images and later if you decide to go else where how are you to get your images?

Hope this helps you.

Mobile mammography is booming BECAUSE of the 10 minute drive convenience. They're not going to have a make up counter clerk doing mammograms, after all!
If having it at the mall is going to make it happen, then DO it. That's the idea. :)

Mobile mammograms, as well as other mobile health facitlities, are becoming more and more popular. It's a way to reach out to the thousands of people who don't see their doctor's on a regular basis or don't have health insurance. IMO I think you would be sacrifing a certain amount of quality, although how much I'm not sure.

I think I would call my doctor's office and act on their recommendation. Ask the same question you're asking us.

REALLY. Hmm. The times they are a-changin'.

Research it, ask questions like who is doing it (are they a mammogram professional or some person they hired with no real qualifications), is the machine legit, stuff like that. I would be weary because I tend to relate that kind of stuff being found at a mall to crappy quality, BUT that does not mean it isn't legit. But no, I haven't personally had a mammogram at macys. I'd kind of feel uncomfortable if it wasn't at a hospital.

1 / 3