Mammogram - Joshua,TX

Hi mommas! I am 31 and have Never had a mammogram. I do not have insurance and have been told I really should get one. Does anyone know where they do them for free?

I go to the county in my state and get my screening for low or no cost. You should be able to look in the phone book under state and county offices.

Keep an eye on your local news, occasionally they do free screenings for all sorts of things. At 31 you shouldnt need one yet unless there's a history of bc in your family. I had one at 40 and then just had my second one at 53. The American Cancer Society should know where to send you for a free one tho, call them.

Breast Thermography is a much safer option than mammography and it uses no radiation. It's thermal breast imaging, approved by the FDA, and not covered by insurance. This technology can detect cancer prior to the development of a tumor and is an excellent tool for prevention. I had my first thermogram in January & it was quick, painless and well worth the money I spent to have one done.

http://www.drdekel.com/content/breast-thermography-mammog...

Baseline mammograms are done at age 35. Unless you have a big family history of breast cancer, I wouldn't worry about it until then.

This site has some options
http://extendingboundaries.com/ExtendingBoundaries0CEB/Ma...

http://www.cleburnetimesreview.com/johnsoncounty/x1416242...

I would also contact the state to ask them the same question

Call your hospital, or your nearest Cancer Society office. They should be able to let you know. Do you have a regular doctor? The doctor's office should be able to give you guidance as well.

Years ago, when I actually worked in mammography, the baseline age was 35 with follow up mammograms every other year until 45 at which point it became a yearly event. I no longer work as a mammographer but did hear of a study that recommended baseline mammograms not be performed until 40. Either way, you are too young to start with even a baseline. A baseline is the first mammogram that is used for comparison purposes when you have the next one at 37. Younger breast tissue is denser which makes mammograms hard to read. As we age our breasts become less dense (perky, lol) so any malignancies are easier to detect. You can wait, unless, as it has been pointed out, there is a family history.
Self breast exams are much more helpful at your age. It is important that we know how to do them. I met a woman about three uears ago who saved her own life at 33 by doing the self exams. You can go on-line to research how to do them properly.
I remember what it's like not to have insurance and the relief of getting it. Maybe in a few years you will have access to insurance and don't have to worry about it.

call you local hospital and ask if they do them for free or if they can tell you where to go to get on done!!

1 / 3