Making Healthy Eating/snacks Easy and Convenient

Hello everyone, I'm looking for tips on how to make eating healthy easy and convenient. I'm also looking for healthy snacks to have around the house, which kind of goes hand in hand. The snacks are mostly for me and to send with my husband for lunch. Any suggestions on what freezes well or healthy things that are easy to eat and take little preperation. I'm not well versed in all the great food that is available, I tend to stick to a few things and I would like to branch out. If the suggestions could be inexpensive that would be great too..ya know, nothing that I have to go to a specialty food store for. Thanks in advance!

On grocery day, I always wash and divide everything up into single serve baggies. I even divide up things like boxes of Wheat Thins, Chex Mix, and (my personal fave) shredded wheat cereal - I eat it dry! Stuff that doesn't need to be refrigerated goes in a big bowl on the kitchen table, the rest go on one of the fridge shelves right in front. I do things like: carrot/celery sticks, sliced green pepper, sliced cucumber, fresh whole snap peas/green beans, fruit (if canned, divide up, if not leave whole, unless it's a melon of some kind- go ahead and cut that into bit sized pieces right away!), granola bars, whole grain crackers (I keep the cheese already squared in the fridge), or those cheese/cracker combos. The possibilities are endless, the key is to make them convenient and available so you go to them instead of the bag of potato chips! :-) Good luck!

Fresh fruits and vegetables are great, healthy, handy on-the-go snacks. Also nuts are a great source of protein and the good type of fat that the body needs.

I do all my fruit/veggie prep on Sundays and portion everything out into single-serve baggies. That way, it is totally grab and go.

I give my daughter a lot of crackers. She loves these 12 grain one's from Trader Joes, and I love them because they are iron bombs (10% of your daily allowance).

She usually gets fruit, but in the afternoon, I do let her have a few cookies (butter cookies). She eats so well at meals, I figure she deserves a cookie treat.

I've been putting a small, cup size bowl out with nuts, and always keep the fruit bowl out. If I buy grapes and leave it in the fridge they will go to waste so I usually wash them and put it out in small batches and they get eaten. I usually use frozen veggies or buy fresh broccoli in a big bag and freeze it.

This article has some good ideas for snacks, I think...

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t030800.asp

Best wishes,

I like Sam's for a lot of reason's, they are getting better about healthy things. For the quick easy part I like the mixed nuts, we keep one on the counter and everyone is able to grab a handful or just a few here and there. I also like the roasted red pepper hummus! Soo yummy, and good for you too! The pita chips are great, but it is tasty on veggies as well, so I keep cut up carrot sticks and celery in a tupperware filled with water. Keeps them fresh and the carrots are soo cruchy! My 2 y.o. son is not a fan of sandwiches, so he eats the ham and cheese rolled up by itself or we use cookie cutters and put them on crackers and he helps me with that. Coincidentally my hubby enjoys the cut outs when he takes them to work too! Ants on a log are a hit too. Celery, Peanut butter and raisins! I hope that helps or gives you a few ideas of your own! Good luck!

My current favorite is making my own "trail mix". Right now, it's just almonds, walnuts, and dried cranberries.

Great post and great ideas!! Thanks!

1 / 3