Making Frozen Green Beans

Ok Moms, in an effort to eat better I started buying frozen vegetables. The peas and corn and stuff are great, but when it comes time to make the grean beens, they are rubbery, and not good. doeas anyone heave some suggestions on how to make them taste better without adding a lot of salt. I am cooking for a 1 year old, 17 year old and a picky 40 year old husband. Any help would be appreciated!!!

I buy the great big bag of frozen green beans from Sams. My family's favorite way to eat them is when I saute them over fairly high heat in the pan that I just cooked dinner in (so that a little bit of the remaining seasonings from the pork chops, or chicken, or whatever, seasons the beans. Then I drizzle with a little bit of olive oil. That's it! They always compliment the main dish and are never rubbery because the cook fast on high heat. Another option is to steam them in an actual steamer, not in water in the microwave! Good luck-you've gotten many great suggestions already!

I just seen this on a cooking show. fresh GB's with each end snipped off and placed on a cookie sheet, and salt pepper and drizzel with Olive oil bake at 400 for 20 minutes. They are delicious.

Hi Y.,

Try putting the green beans in a casserole dish and add a can of Artichoke Hearts chopped or quartered. Sprinkle with Parmesan or Romano Cheese, Salt & Pepper, Red Pepper (optional). Top with Italian Bread Crumbs and drizzle with Olive Oil. Bake 350* for 15-20 minutes. That is if your picky 40 yr old husband likes Artichoke Hearts. My husband hates most vegetables but he likes spinach & artichoke dip and corn that's about it! Good Luck----J. C

I think fresh is the way to go with green beans unless you are putting them in a soup and cooking the heck out of them. One of my favs is buying fresh. You can snap the ends off while watching a show. Then drizzle olive oil and soy sauce and put under the broiler for a couple of minutes. Watch closely and I take mine out and shake them and little to make sure they are covered in the oil and sauce. You can cook them as long as you want. I like a little brown on mine. Good flavor. I love doing this with broccoli, too. It makes it crunchy. You cut up fresh broccoli (spelling?) and put it in a bowl with olive oil or canola oil and salt. Shake or stir so all is covered then spread it out on a baking sheet. Cook at 425 for about 20-25 mins. Again, depends on how you like it so try it a few times. I just eat this like popcorn. Love it.

I usually steam them - it helps with the texture. What I really like are the french cut green beans. I saute them in a skillet with either a tiny bit of olive oil or butter (you could even use Pam to cut calories). You can use some onions, bacon, ham, etc. for some flavor - just add the beans at the very end since they cook quickly, and season to taste. I really like them sauteed with onion, a little diced ham and add slivered almonds at the very end. Sounds weird, tastes delicious! Also, I use the Morton's Lite Salt which is 1/2 the sodium of regular salt. No one in my house has noticed I switched...LOL.

I use frozen veg for everything BUT green beans. I hate the rubbery texture and lack of taste. I stick to canned green beans or fresh beans, steamed with garlic, olive oil, s&p.

Hello Y.,

When my husband and I got married, my eating of veggies changed. You see, I was raised strictly on canned, he was raised on both canned and frozen. We decided to go with frozen... I had to get used to them, cuz I DID NOT LIKE THEM!!!

When we got married, I had a then six-year old daughter from my first marriage and I knew that she would be watching me to see how I reacted to the "new" veggies. I choked them down, did not like them in the slightest. My daughter didn't like them either, but with persistance, we all love them now.

We buy the Green Giant steamed frozen veggies. We don't have trouble with the green beans coming out rubbery. Our favorite is the sweet corn... YUMMO!!!

Hope this helps! ls

Y....I think that some vegetables just don't taste as good when they are frozen and green beans are one of them!! I also don't particularly like peas from the freezer...maybe the green color has something to do with it...lol.
Seriously...if you want to have some delicious green beans...either get the Blue Lake Canned Variety ( it's a variety of beans..not a brand name)...rinse the green beans several times....discarding the water that it is canned in. If you want to add a little bacon or onion to it...go for it...(You will need to let it simmer a while for the added ingredients to be good) or just add enough water to cover and heat it up.
Of course my favorite way of cooking green beans is fresh snap beans...yummy!!!
R. Ann

1 / 3