Making Baby Food - Raleigh,NC

My daughter is four months old, which means I have two months to learn everything I can about making baby food before she needs it. When my son was a baby, I did such a poor job of making his baby food that he refused all of my vegetables and would only eat them out of a jar. He did like the fruit I prepared for him. This time, I want my daughter to eat my vegetables.

For vegetables, I know I should steam them (or bake if it's sweet potatoes). Then it seems that most people have said they have more success with an immersion blender. When I used a food processor, my son did not like the texture. Is there an affordable immersion blender you recommend? Is there one I should avoid.

Also, I want to make large quantities of food at once and freeze it. I now own a deep freezer, so I'm ready to stock it. I know many people recommend freezing the food in ice cube trays for nice one ounce portions; however, I have heard there are other products that are easier to use. Do you know of the other products that are easier? Or is it really simple enough to use the ice cube trays?

Is there anything about making baby food that I should know?

Thank you so much for the info! I think I can do a better job this time.

I know babies don't actually need any of this food until they are a year old, but my daughter has a really high palate from her tongue-tie. She needed so much therapy before she was able to nurse effectively. Now I want to start solids at six months to make sure she can physically handle a spoon in her mouth without gagging. I don't actually care if she eats much of it, but I need to know by the time she is nine months old if she's going to need more therapy.

I steamed all my veggies and then used a food processor and my daughter ate everything up. I used ice cube trays - but just temporarily. Once the cubes were frozen I'd pop them out, put into a labeled ziplock and there I'd have a dozen servings of sweet potatoes or whatever. I had no problem with any of it- loved it.

wholesomebabyfood.com

that site will give you any info you need to know. :) It has nutritional information for each individual type of food (info on avacado, banana, carrots, etc.) along with the easiest recipes for baby food (most are just steam and puree... but some work better if baked, etc.) . It also tells you the best age to introduce the foods, based on digestibility and anything you might need to know. Like, I didn't know that carrots have a lot of nitrates, so when making baby food you want to steam and use fresh water, as opposed to boiling and using the same water. It also has sample feeding schedules.. I love this site!

It reccomends ice cube trays... but I found these little containers at family dollar that worked better for me. They were the perfect size for individual servings, sold in packs of 8 for $1.00.

I made all of my daughter's food - actually roasting lends a lot more flavor than steaming...I roasted all of her veggies and fruits. For certain veggies like different squash varieties, you can add some dried organic cinnamon which is great for flavor. I also added it to roasted mango and apples. Also keep in your repertoire avocado and banana - just mash them fresh, no roasting needed! I didn't make baby food for my 1st baby - and it cracks me up that I used to buy bananas as baby food when you can just open a fresh one and mash it for your baby! I always just used a blender to puree and ice cube trays to freeze overnight - then transferred to bags in the freezer once they were frozen.

I totally agree with wholesomebabyfood.com. It's an awesome resource!! I don't have personal reviews on a blender, since we've always used a food processor. I have heard great things about this food blender http://www.amazon.com/Kid-Co-Inc-F900-Electric/dp/B000A6O... and the Beaba Babycook.
I used ice cube trays and removed the cubes of food once they were frozen and popped them into zip-lock bags.

www.weelicious.com has some really fun baby puree recipes!

I don't know anything about it, my kids are teens, but I just wanted to say that I think it is neat that you are doing this. About 5 years ago I started hearing people say they were making baby food, and after thinking about it, I wished I had done that. Have fun with it!! Hope your baby loves it!!

I made all my son's baby food. We got a beaba baby food maker (Williams and Sonoma about $150, but honestly worth every penny). It makes the baby food the perfect consistency and it steams the fruits / vegetables first all in the same machine. We got the beaba baby food trays which are kind of pricey but i've heard a lot of people freezing them in ice cube trays (with lids) or other containers about the same size. The one downfall with the beaba is that it's kind of small, so you can't do a huge batch at once. I used to make a week's worth in an hour every week.

There's not much else to know about making baby food - it's really super easy. We started with sweet potatoes (steamed and pureed), peas, squash and zucchini, carrots (we stayed away from gassy foods at first broccoli and cauliflower). We also did fruit - apples, peaches pears, plums, blueberries (what a mess!). I still use my beaba to finely chop spinach that I can hide in pretty much anything my son eats.

I'm also a lover of wholesomebabyfood.com! I did use ice cube trays as well and also popped them out and put them in ziplocks. I probably kept them in the bags for a month or so. They did tend to get a bit freezer burned by the end of the month, but maybe if you're keeping extras in a deep freeze it won't be an issue. Plus I felt it was easy to have more variety at the meals b/c I could add a cube of peas, a cube of carrots, etc. I steamed everything, even potatoes, I just peeled them first. I actually never though of roasting them, but I could see how that would add more flavor. Personally, I'd go with steaming and then when they get older and can tolerate more go to roasting and add some spices if you like.

We have a Breville blender and although it's expensive, it ROCKS! We got it partially b/c I wanted to make baby food and it has worked out so well. I bascially use it as a food processor but it really is a blender so it can do all that too.

Here's how I got beautiful consistency/texture in my food using what I already owned: After putting it in the blender, I then put it in my large mesh strainer-pushed it through w/ a spatula. (Isn't that what those things are called? I am having a brain fart...the thing you use to get the last bit of cake batter out of the bowl and into the pan. ;) )

Oh and as mentioned don't skimp on the water! You know how runny commercial baby food is-it must be 75% water! Use your steamed veggie water-it has nutrients in it!

I used ice cube trays-they work great.

And to reheat I use a (homemade) double broiler.

My DS ate puree's for a much shorter time than my DD...I'm glad I didn't invest in anything fancy to make it w/.

GL and have fun!

1 / 3