Make Cupcakes Day of Party or Day Before?

My son's birthday party is at 2:30 in the afternoon so I can get up and make the cupcakes first thing in the morning. They would cool in time for me to ice them before lunch. I could make them the day before, but I don't really have any good way to store them overnight. I don't have a cupcake container. I could only put them in a 13x9 dish with foil on top. Which would be better? Make them fresh the day of the party (just be a little more rushed with all of the other chores I have to do) or make them the day before and not be able to store them in anything totally air-tight? What would you mommas do?

Make them the day before, but don't frost them until the morning of the party. Easier for storing them overnight.

Bake them the day before and ice them the morning of. If you ice them the same day, they'll be too fresh to ice.

We made cupcakes the night before and left them undecorated. I set out 2 bowls of icing and dishes of toppings and had a "Decorate Your Cupcake" table. It was a hit and easy on me!!

Make them the night before, and frost them in the morning :)

I would (and have) made the cupcakes the day before and this is why:

*You can take your time and make them super cute (if that is what you want to do)
* You don't know if you have a problem with the mix or frosting (this has happened to us).
*Running the oven in the morning before the party may make it harder to keep the house cool for the party (especially with a lot of people and kiddos).
*It gives you more time to do last minute cleaning and setting-up (peace of mind)

Once the cupcakes are iced (with regular frosting...not a cream cheese frosting), you can store them out with foil or wrap on top of them. The frosting will "seal" the top of the cakes and keep them from drying out.

Have fun!

if you are making the cupcakes to be decorated by the kids, then i would do it the day before. that way they are more firm, and don't crumble as they are putting the frosting on. if you are decorating them, either the day before or that morning.

Make them the day before and mix up some powdered sugar and water. Spread a light coat on the cupcakes. It will stop the cupcakes from drying out and it will make the icing go on easier and the cupcakes won't crumble when you spread the icing. You want the mixture to be liquid enough to spread, but not super runny.

Buy something to put them in and make them the day before. You can get Gladware or Tupperware. You will use them for future birthday parties, baked goods for class parties, potlucks, etc. You will use them! They only cost $3 or $4.

Definitely make them the day before. Less stress!

1 / 3