Major Diaper Area Rash

hi. my 2 1/2 yr old son has had a diaper rash for the past month. pediatrician treated it as a diaper rash w/ rx creme. nothing. so now he's on corticosteriod creme & still it's not going away. he has no known allergies, hasn't changed his diet & i've tried all diapers. still a rash. it's on his inner thighs & anal area. his says its itchy. i have an appt with a dermatoligist on monday, but its driving me crazy. has anyone ever had a problem like this. the pediatrician said it might be psoriasis or eczema, but the cortisone hasn't helped it. any ideas, opinions ....
thanks

Good luck! Everyone gave you great answers. My daughter had similar problems. Let him run around naked a lot. Also, the best diaper cream I found for my daughter is Aveeno. I still use it - she is 3, but does not wipe good - we are working on this problem. So when she gets a rash, it is gone in a day. Also, if it is a yeast, Lotrimin for athletes foot was what my ped recommended.

Salt bath.

When all the new ideas fail, go back to the basics!

Run him a warm bath, and for every inch of water in the tub add 1/4 cup of salts (epsom, kosher or table will all work) and let him sit in it for at least 10 minutes. I would recommend 2-5 times a day, as often as you can get him in the tub. Dry him thoroughly after bath and (try) to leave him diaperless for a while afterwards. This should clear it up in 2-3 days.

I'm so sorry to hear that! I know how much it can bother the little ones!

Here's a recommendation from Grandma (my mom!) that really worked for us. When I gave my daughter a bath, I put baking soda in the water. Apparently it neutralizes the skin. whatever it is, it worked! After bathing her, I let her be naked for as long as possible (without risking an accident). I then used Boudreaux's Butt Paste for a night or 2, then when it was slightly better, I switched to Aquafor which I now use every night before putting her diaper on for the night.

I also use Seventh Generation diapers & most recently switched to Nature Baby Care (bpth sold at Babies R Us) which claim to not have anything "bad" in them. I don't know if that's a factor, but it seems to work.

All my best for a clear bottom soon ; )

my son also had a rash like this at 18 months old . Nothing helped untill the doctor perscribed ointment used for women with yeast infections . it was cleared up in two days check it out . good luck . J.

I hear you and I feel your pain. I was very frustrated, and I tried everything including triple past, but nothing worked EXCEPT Egyptian Magic. OMG, I was stunned at how fast it worked. I got it at Whole Foods. I highly recommend it. Good luck. AM

HI K., Have you tried Aveno oatmeal bath for infants/children?? There are 5 packets per box, you use one per bath. It might just work, as my son had a rash when he was little and after the second or third bath using this the rash was gone and never came back. :) good luck!!

Take the diaper off. The less contact his skin has with the chemicals in the diaper and his own waste, the less area there will be to get inflamed. When not bare-bottomed (see below) use some cotton undies and pants--if necessary use some training pants or cloth diapers (100% natural fibers if possible) with no cover.

Wash his bottom with a gentle soap and water.

Expose his bottom to sun and fresh air for AT LEAST 5-10 minutes after every change of clothing/diaper/pee or poo. The sun has awesome healing properties, so have him hang out bare bottom near a sunny window.

Meanwhile look for the cause of the rash--it could be bacterial, a new reaction to the diapers (or have you recently changed brands) or a food reaction (these can show up any time, so just because he's been fine until now, don't assume it's not the food).

Hope that helps.

All four of my kids had to use the generic brand diapers. I also had used baby bath and warm wash cloth instead of any wipes. I was taught an old time trick of scourching regular baking flour til like golden brown. I would use Aquaphor or something simular then liberaly apply the flour (bag flour . The flour acts as a natural way of absorbing any access moisture to their skin and also pulling out any fluids from the rashes. Worked better than any powders or ointments for mine.

K.,
When my first child was born 26 years ago my pediatrician tried everything for her diaper rash and finally gave me Silvadine which made it go away within 24 hours and she had the most severe case he had ever seen, she was so raw she was bleeding. Now I keep it in the house at all times. Not only is it great for diaper rashes but it is fabulous on burns, which is what it is designed for. Ask your pediatrician to order it, you won't regret it.

Hugs,

1 / 3