"Magic Butt Cream"

Does anyone know the recipe for what the pediatricians perscribe for diaper rashes. I believe it's called "magic butt cream." Please help! My girlfriends baby has a really bad diaper rash and it's the weekend so we were hoping we could cook something up to help her little bottom. :(

My daughter used to get it really bad and they told us soda baths - baking soda in cool water at least daily for 10-15 min at a time. The couple of times that it actually started bleeding, they told us antibotic cream to heal and then Destin (or something like) to protect it from wetness (you layer them Destin on top of the antibotic). Change the diaper frequently to keep them dry.

There were a few times when it wasn't just a diaper rash - the above didn't clear it up, helped but didn't clear it - and he had to prescribe a medicated cream.

Good luck - these kind of nasty diaper rashes aren't fun.

Don't wait, go to the pharmacy and buy a tube of A&D ointment. It gives instant relief of discomfort and will heal the diaper rash. I also used Desitine ointment. I never heard of making anything myself.

I "think" the recipe is equal parts hydrocortisone & triple anti-biotic ointment, BUT the magic treatment for me has been a product called Calmoseptine, it is not presription but you will likely have to ask the pharmacist for since they usually keep it behind the counter. Sometimes you can find it at costco. Also don't use wipes unless you completely rinse them, even the ones that say "free" on them. As you can tell i have been through this... good luck!

There's a cream you can buy called Boudreaux's butt paste, it's at Wal*Mart and it works really well but it's super thick so if the baby is young you may want to stick to something easier to apply/remove such as Desitin. The other secret trick my pediatrician gave me is to buy non-flavored, plain Maalox or generic liquid antacid and put it in a spray bottle and spray the baby's diapers. You let them dry then use them on the baby. The antacid neutralizes acid in the baby's #1 & #2 and helps them heal quicker.

Hope it helps!

Butt Paste...it comes in a yellow tube and is the best cream. We use it for everything.

Here's what our pediatrician recommended - I only wish I had known about it with our two older children. Use the minty Maylox and swab the whole bottom area with cotton balls. Let air dry and then use the thick Desitin (original formula). The Maylox seems to cut the acid that is on the skin allowing it to heal. Works like a charm!

Actually, Nystatin is a different treatment the drs prescribe which is an antifungal ointment for yeast infections (common with diaper rash). The Magic Butt Cream you are referring to is different from Nystatin. If you call your local pharmacy they will tell you how to make it. Our doc actually prescribed it for us and when the pharmacy received the prescription, they called us to tell us how to make it because it was going to cost around $70 if they did it, and it was easy enough for us to do. Unfortunately, we didn't do it so I can't tell you myself what the ingredients were. We had started using the Aveeno diaper cream and it worked wonders for us. We put a little cortisone ointment on first, then the Aveeno and it cleared up very nicely. But again, your local pharmacy (Rite Aid or Walgreens may be open late) should be able to tell you how to make it. Good luck!

Magic butt cream is equal parts
-Desitin (the thick original- not the creamy)
-Maylox (or store brand, mint flavor is more 'cooling' on baby's bottom)
-Lotramin AF (you have to make sure it is the anti fungal)

it may be kind of lumpy at first and may separate in between uses- but this stuff is the BEST. If your friend has good Rx coverage, her doc can call it in and the the pharmacy can make it for her- they use all the same ingred, except they use nystantin instead of the lotramin

Butt Paste is NOT the same thing- it may work for some, but it did NOT work for us- it made things WORSE for both of my boys.

maylox works for yeast diaper rash...

unfortunately there are more than one type of rash.

burts bees diaper cream works wonders on regular diaper rash... even blistered rash.

hope this helps.

ps I would use extreme caution with any type of cortisone anywhere on the baby but espaecially in the private area - it is a steroid. please consult your physician first.

also my granmother swears by corn starch heated in a cast iron pan! I dont know the burts bees works so I havent really tried any options :)

Calmoseptine-it's behind the counter at any pharmacy you just have to ask for it. It's a little pricey but it's amazing how quickly it works. A little bit goes a long way too. It's not prescription they just keep it behind the counter. Best of luck

1 / 3