Macrobid Use @ 36 Weeks?

I am 36 weeks pregnant and my ob just prescribed Macrobid for a UTI. Obviously he knows I am pregnant. I am a little concerned because I know they say not to use it past 38 weeks or close to delivery because it can cause hemolytic anemia in the newborn. I have been having issues with UTIs through out my last trimester, so I am assuming he believes the risk is worth it. He wrote me a 30 day rx. Has anyone personally had experience with the antibiotic while pregnant? More specifically, if you have used this close to delivery, or right up to your due date, how did things turn out? I tried googling it and all I could find was vague information that freaked me out. I am just trying to weigh the risks. Thanks.

During pregnancy, I found the best person to talk to, was my pharmacist. They know so much more about the drug and interactions, then a doctor does. I was put at ease and educated quite a few times, during my pregnancy. I would give your pharmacy a call!

I agree with Bug. Talk to the pharmacist. If there's an alternate the pharmacist can call your OB and change the prescription if necessary.

The side effects are scary but I was prescribed that for UTIs with no issues on baby development or side effects but for 30 days hmm never been prescribed for that long only twice a day for 7 or 10 days and that is it so I question the length of the antibiotic and ask the pharmacy what class it is in if I remeber correctly class c,but taking it out weighs the risk of fetal develpoment and greater concern for having the infection to cause further complications

I think you have to trust your doctor a uti in pregnancy can cause preterm labor. My friend had her baby at 35 weeks when she went into labor cause of a uti.. call your doc and ask him..
\
but take the drug.. better to get rid of those germs..

Since you're this concerned, and I do think your concerns are valid, it's a great idea to have this conversation with your OB. Our doctors work for us and we're not innocent bystanders in our care, so questioning and discussing are allowed. I would specifically ask if there are any alternatives that he can prescribe that are safer than Macrobid even if he thinks it's not quite as effective in the short term.

I would also be curious if he thinks your UTI's will remain a persistent condition after delivery. For some people, they stop shortly after pregnancy. For others, it does remain a persistent condition. It sounds like he wants to "knock it out for good" but if you want to take a more gentle approach, you need to let him know.

There is absolutely no way I would take it. Not worth the risk to your baby.

And no, you can't blindly trust your doctor. You and your baby's health are in your hands.

1 / 3