Lunch Ideas for a 15 Month Old

hello ladies,
my daughter is 15 months and she is a great eater!! I'm running out of lunch ideas to make for her. i'm trying to make healthier foods for her, she loves her mac and chez, grilled cheese, chicken nuggets. I just feel like its not really good for her.. any suggestions???

i just wanted to thank you all. You are all AMAZING!!! whenever i have a problem or a question , i get soo many responses!!! Its sooo nice to know i can count on you all!!! you have helped me sooo much and I really appreciate all the GREAT advice!!

I know others have mentioned this, but Dr. Praeger's Spinach pancakes are my daughter's favorite. I have to hide it until she has eaten some cheese or fruit first. She loves them! They are at most grocery stores, often in the organic or Kosher sections. I buy them at Wegman's or Shoprite.

My son loves the Gerber Pasta Pickups, also lately I've been going to BJs and getting a cooked rotisserie chicken to keep in the fridge. I just shred off the meat with a fork and give it to him cold with some baby carrots. You could always try a cold cut sandwhich cut into small pieces.

Here are a few ideas:

-almond butter and jam (all fruit, no sugar added) sandwiches, or almond butter with banana

-chicken tenders- but make your own! The recipe on the back of the Bisquick box is easy, healthy, and YUMMY!

-tons of fruit (blueberries, raspberries, kiwis, any melon, the works)

-cheese quesadillas using corn tortillas (so fast and easy!)

-refried beans with shredded cheese melted on top

-sweet potato wedges (shake in a bag with a little oil and salt, and then bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes on each side)- these can be reheated the next day

-Try frozen peas and carrots- if she likes them heated, great! If not, try running them under warm water for a few seconds. My son likes them like that- weird, but healthy... :)

Hope something here works for your little girl!

hi J., i have a 12 month old and i like to give him avocado slices along with grilled chicken and cheese... also, a good and healthy idea for lunch is chicken noodle soup with a piece of wheat bread/crackers. i like to alot of fresh fruit and vegetables for lunch and dinner as long as I can continue to cook them! good luck!

During the summer, we are members of an organic vegetable co-op, and once a week we go to the farm to pick up our produce. I take my toddler along with me, and she LOVES to help me put the produce in the bag. When we get home, we sort it, talk about it, feel it, smell it, etc, and I have found that she is really excited to taste everything since she has been so involved in the whole process. I also try to structure at least one meal per day where she can participate in "cooking", and that makes her very interested in eating whatever it is. For example, I give her a little cheese spreader knife (the rounded dull kind) and put hummus, butter, jelly, almond butter, or whatever into a little cup, and let her spread it onto whole grain bread or crackers or fruit. When she was your daughter's age, I had to help her, but it didn't take long for her to become independent. Alternately, you could set up healthy foods for dipping, like fruit slices into yogurt.

I try to look at the whole day's worth of food in terms of balance, not each individual meal. if my daughter only eats a grain or a protein for one meal, I don't worry about it as long as she makes up the difference in another meal.

Some specific lunches that we do: Annies Naturals macaroni and cheese with frozen mixed vegetables mixed in (the mac and cheese comes in a microwaveable form so it is a quick, easy, and balanced lunch); yogurt with fruit; cheese and fresh veggies with dip and whole grain crackers; Morningstar Farms veggie bites (in the freezer aisle); flour or veggie tortillas/wraps, filled with low-fat refried beans, cheese, diced tomatoes, and microwaved until warm; chicken salad sandwich cut into fun shapes with a cookie cutter.

They are perfectly healthy choices as long as they are not overly portioned. You just need to add fruit & veggies to the mix.

I needed help with this one myself my son 15 months old. But I do worry about the salt in foods. Also, just be carefull with peanut butter. My doctor told me to hold off on that one for now, we don't know if he is alergic to any nuts yet. :)

My daughter eats whatever I do. Sometimes it's cold cereal, sometimes it's a tuna fish sandwhich. Sometimes it's just left over rice and veg from the night before. She tends to work her way around the food pyramid over a day or two, so I don't stress if she doesn't eat her bread AND her grapes AND her protein. I just know if she eats nothing but a pile of grated cheese for lunch, then she'll probably eat nothing but a pile of rice for dinner.

1 / 3