Lunch Ideas for 18 Month Old

My daughter will eat anything and since I usually eat a lean cuisine for lunch what are some good, quick lunch ideas? Dinner is usually what ever me and my husband are having cut up small for her. Is it okay to still be giving her jar food? I feel like she is too old...

Maybe not jar food anymore..but go for the Gerber graduates if you need a quick lunch. The little entree's are so easy and pretty tasty. There is a main meal with a side of veggies. We also like the ravioli's, chunk fruit and veggies. On the homemade front try the single serve microwave mac N cheese. There isnt a lot of sodium and kids love it. I also buy Chicken breast strips from Tyson, low sodium Vienna sausages, steamed fresh veggies of all kinds, Frozen french fries or tatter tots baked in the oven. You can never go wrong with cut up sandwiches Meat, bread, and cheese. Be creative. I always just make sure my daughter has a carb, protein, fruit, and veggie at every meal along with her milk. a good dessert idea is to throw cut up canned fruits into a ziploc in the freezer and I throw them frozen int ohe blender and it's like a sorbet. Or I pour apple juice into popsicle molds. Or sugar free jello or pudding. Even youngins need a little dessert sometimes..lol. Good luck.

The jar food is not the best choice for nutrition. I cut up low sodium, preservative free lunch meat with cut up fruit for my son. You can try rice cakes with sunflower seed butter(peanuts aren't recommended before 2yrs). I also make a batch of brown rice pasta so he can snack on it for a few days. Steamed veggies and brown rice are also good options. You can bake a yam and scoop the flesh out, no need to puree. You can also cut a yam into strips and bake(healthier than regular fries). Plain yogurt with fresh fruit such as bannana. Flavored yogurt contains too much sugar. Here is a link for more info http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/toddler-foods.html#f....

My son is 18 months also and picky. I have to disagree with a couple of the responses that said she is too old for jar food. Sometimes that is ALL I can get my son to eat and at least I know he is getting something in his stomach. It may not be the "best" source if nutrition, but it's better than nothing at all...in my opinion. I also try to follow up with some cheese or yogurt, if he'll eat it! But, perhaps if she will eat anything, you don't have to rely on jar food like I do.

I have a 14-month-old and here are a few things he will eat at lunchtime:

shredded cheese, small apple cubes, bread w/butter and jelly (I was told by my doctor not to give him peanut butter until he is 2 because there are too many kids with peanut allergies these days).

small flour tortilla with refried beans and shredded cheese

grilled cheese sandwich

soup, goldfish crackers

white or brown rice, small avocado chunks

rotisserie chicken in bite size pieces, peas, mashed potatoes
(I buy one at the grocery store or costco and he loves them. They last him a few meals. When I give him this for dinner, I put the same meal in a Tupperware container and save it for lunch the next day. He doesn't mind the repeat meal, because it's all the things he likes).

Cut up pickle or cucumbers, tater tots, shredded turkey breast

For breakfast he usually has cereal, yobaby yogurt, or oatmeal. When he's teething and doesn't want to eat much, I blend some plain yogurt, a banana, and some milk in the blender and give it to him in a sippy cup.

If I think of anymore, I'll post it.

By the way, since you're looking for quick and easy-when I mentioned the rice, I make a decent size batch in the rice cooker and save it for lunches. I don't make it fresh each time. It lasts a few days in the fridge.

He had cottage cheese with his lunch today and loved it.

My two year old is very picky. Here are a couple of sure fire things he would eat for me.
Turkey hot dogs, cut up small
Cubes of cheese
Dora Yoplait yogurts for kids
Gerber graduates sweet potatoes with glazed carrots. They are microwavable and come in individual servings for toddlers. Also, the pasta pick ups of the same brand/kind.
cubed chicken with bbq sauce
Gerber also makes cubed cooked carrots and green beans
Also found with both of my kids that they are more likely to try new foods if they are served with toothpicks and they can 'poke' the food and eat it.

My daughter will be 3 yrs. old in two months and although she eats all kinds of table food, we still give her jars of baby food and she loves them. She uses a spoon and feeds herself from the jar even. I say give her whatever she'll eat. I feel good knowing that my daughter is sure to get her vegetables even if it's in a jar. Who cares what others think. IMO there's no such thing as too old.
Hope this helps,

There's a really great website called www.mom-a-licious.com - She has a cookbook available and the recipes are easy and yummy.

We give our daughter all kinds of things for lunch. She's 18 months too and not a picky eater at all. Some of her favorites (quick meals) are sandwich and chips (any kind, turkey, hame, cheese, etc) saimin noodles, rice and nori, boiled hot dog or vienna sausage. We sometimes keep gerber graduates on hand (ravioli, spaghetti, soups) since they were quick 30 sec in the micro (and came in handy when we had something she couldn't eat-mostly spicy stuff). We used to that regulary when she just started table food, but hardly now since she eats with us. I'm sure it's okay for her to still eat jarred food, we personally haven't given it since about 8-10 months. She feeds herself and is good at letting us know when she's done or when she wants more. Hope that helps.

1 / 3