Lunch Box Ideas-other than Sandwiches

I have two elementary age children. They get really tired of PB&J sandwiches. I prefer not to give them Lunchables. Does anybody have any ideas for different lunch ideas, other than sandwiches. There is no way for them to heat food at school so I am finding this difficult. Any help would be appreciated

Wow!!! What a bunch of GREAT ideas. Thank you all so much. I feel more prepared this school year and it hasn't even begun yet. I found thermos' for the kids that are the perfect size and shape. I have also prepared a shopping list so I can get everything I need to make my kids some new, not-so-boring, healthy lunches. Thanks tons!

I always use www.kraftfoods.com. You can search the site for new ideas for kids lunches. You can also sign up for food ideas that they send through email....good quick meals!!
Good luck!!

Kind of new at this but I've sent hot foods (like soup, mac n cheese) in a thermos and been sucessful - probably any kind of leftover would work in there as well - I've also done rices and casseroles. I know you want ideas beyone sandwiches but do think that switching up "bread" can help - i.e. pockets, tortillas - you could even do a quesadilla. what about an occasional small pizza made ahead and put in their lunches cold - they'd be room temp for lunch. and, of course, varying veggies, fruits, yogurt, pudding, ... they have so many snacks to accompany lunches today. good luck - I can't wait to see what everybody writes! and if you find any really creative ideas please let us all know! oops - almost forgot - what about breakfast items? a quick toast of pancakes, waffles, breakfast sandwiches, pancake wrapped sausage sticks, french toast sticks, a sandwich of PB and bananas, maybe w/ some honey - or one w/ flavored cream cheeses and meat - these could be good depending on what your little ones eat for breakfast. take care!

how about roll-ups? they are always fun and they are simple. You can put tons of different things in them and they are great.

Hi D.,
Try mixing it up a little. For a fun change take a piece of cheese, string or otherwise, and wrap a piece or a few of thier favorite meat around it. Also try tortilla wraps to mix it up. They make an interesting change to bread.

I have not read the other responses yet to know if anyone suggested this so far, but buy a good thermos and pack mac-n-cheese, leftovers, soup,... . My sister has done this with my finicky nephew and it seems to work like a charm! Good luck. T.

How about some turkey rollups with crackers? Heating soup in a Thermos contaniner? Cream cheese on bread?

I went to Wal Mart and bought a Thermos container that is about 6 inches tall that fits in their lunch bag perfectly. It can be used for hot or cold items so I have been able to send for lunch raviolies, chili, mac & chesse, soup and even one day cold milk with dry cereal in a bag. It really gives my children and I lots of options.

My kids are too young for bagged lunch, but one idea I used when I worked retail and brought a lunch was small tupperware container of hummus with individual bags of cut veggies and other "dippables". Hard boiled egg quarters, chuncks of lunch meats, carrots, celery, peppers, cheeses etc. Hummus is really healthy and comes in lots of flavors, but you can always make up some other kind of dip, like cheese or something.

I give my kids muffins, tuna salad sandwiches, and egg salad also lunchmeat. I use a insulated lunchbag and an icepack to keep things cold.

1 / 3