Lunch at Preschool

My 17 month old is starting preschool/mother's day out next week. I need some ideas on what to pack for his lunch. I am at a loss! Everything he eats I cook or warm up. I have to pack something already ready to eat. I thought about hotdogs, but he has never had one before...HELP!

Macaroni and cheese, finger foods, fruit cocktail, grapes cut in half, jello, sandwiches of one meat one cheese cut smaller, Those little pop top toddler foods.

I've always done PBJ or PB&honey, with a side of pre-cut fruit and a small side of crackers/chips. I throw this in his bag along with an ice pack and either a sippy of whatever drink or a small juice box. He's really only goes once a week for lunch, so I don't feel bad at all for sending the same thing as he gets more variety at home.

our mdo teachers suggested cheese, cut up sandwich meat, fruit (already diced), maybe some bread to go with the sandwich.

every now and then I give my 20 month old the lunchable minis...they are little foods for little hands...or a sandwich w/fruit...?????

they have little lunchables

What about peanut butter or PB and jelly little sandwiches, like finger sandwiches, yogurt, little cubes of cheese (those keep pretty well). Put a freezer pack in there to help keep things cold. Spaghettios, those are fine at room temp. Fruit, already diced, chex mix, turkey sandwich with the freezer pack to keep it cold. That's all I have right now!

The MDO where my daughter goes doesn't allow hot dogs or grapes, and has PBJ restrictions if anyone in the class has a peanut allergy. My daughter is not a big meat eater, so I was always at a loss with what to send, but mostly I send raisins or some other type of dried fruit or maybe mandarin oranges, some sort of bread or cracker (raisin bread, wheat crackers, sometimes packaged cheese and crackers), and something sweeter like a granola bar, or trail mix, or fruit snacks.

She would never eat any of it. Ever. She did not eat at school last year. As soon as she would get in the car with my mom (she picked her up), she would eat all of it. Today was the first day for this year, so we'll see. I sent a lunchables mini today. Those are good for a time saver, but the cheese is kind of gross. We just like real cheese I guess.

Don't worry, if you send something he doesn't like, he'll just eat the other kid's food. Ha! Just kidding...sort of.

A.
www.greenbabydiaperservice.com

My oldest started preschool at 3 and a 1/2, but she was (still is) a really picky eater. I would make her whatever I normally made her for lunch in the morning and just wrap it up. Usually it was a cheese quesadilla or turkey wrap. They eat so early at that age stuff doesn't really have time to go bad!

My dd use to go to mdo here is a few of our ideas:

yogart w/ her favorite fruit
unsweetened applesauce
annie's bunny crackers
pb&j on whole wheat
ham or turkey wrap
slice of cheese
fresh fruit cut up in small pieces
carrot sticks

No hot dogs. They are dangerous, like grapes and that's why many places don't allow them. There are too many kids for them to watch and kids horse-around at lunch so you don't want one choking on a hot dog or grape.

My teen girls like to nibble on a variety and they like:
cheese and crackers
pasta salad (which could be as simple as cooked rotini, small chunks of Velveeta, bitt of chicken and tossed with a mild italian dressing)
chewy granola bar
an orange
rolled tortilla with turkey
flavored mini rice cakes
cherry tomatoes (but mine are teens so it's safer)
fresh, lightly steamed brocolli
applesauce cups

My son eats the same thing every day and has for years, so I won't bother giving you his boring menu. Good luck!

1 / 3