Lumpy Formula

Hi, Tonight I spent an hour making bottles! I just had to switch to the Doc Browns bottles, so some extra time was spent on that. The rest of the time was trying to stir the formula lumps out. I use Enfamil Gentle formula, Browns bottles..add water, add the rice cereal (1/2 tsp per 2oz due to reflux) and formula and stir. I have tried a fork, a butter knife and if I could find a wisk small enough I would try that! Am I missing something? Please educate me if I am!
Thanks for any insight!

Hi all..let me say I was overwhelmed by the number of wonderful suggestions! It's really nice to know there are other mothers out there with this problem, that compared to some problems this is a small issue, yet a frustrating and time consuming one! We live in a rural area and I love this site, makes me feel a little more connected. Anyway..after reading and trying several suggestions, I think tonight I found what works. First instead of making up 8 individual bottles I opted for a large container to store and use to fill one bottle at a time as needed. When a few people mentioned the Pampered Chef, I was reminded that as a white elephant gift I had gotten one of those pitchers with the handle that you push the "blades" up and down. LOW and BEHOLD my container of formula had NO lumps and minimal foam! It sure was a lot easier to make one big container (duh). I also listened to what many said about not putting the rice cereal in the bottle and began feeding it to him separately and do you know what happened? First, he looked at me funny and smacked his lips and second, he seemed not to cry so much over gas/reflux pain. Very interesting I thought. Again, I thank all of you wonderful mothers who felt my pain and took the time to make a suggestions!
P.S. The original Dr. Browns do contain PBA (gasp) Mine are almost 3 years old. It didn't even cross my mind till now. I will be buying new bottles.
The site states:
Our original bottle is made of durable polycarbonate plastic. Our newest bottles, which do not contain bisphenol-A (BPA), come in glass and polypropylene plastic.

When I worked in an infant program we used to have that problem. I found that using very hot water helped. I would put some water in that was boiling hot and mix the entire ration of formula and cereal with that. When there was no more lumps add the rest of the water. All you need is a little really hot water.

My son has acid reflux which he takes Prevacid for. I have found that it is easier to make the formula is a mixing cup or bowl rather than in the bottle. Because for me I have to stir not shake his formula and scoop out the bubbles. Give tha a try. Hope it helps.

I used the Dr. Brown bottles. Instead of shaking the bottles with all of the parts in them, I would shake the bottles with only a travel cap on top which would help get the formula lumps out.

Pampered chef makes a measure mix and pour for salad dressings, and all sorts of other uses, I used to use it for formula all the time. It has a whisk inside that you pump up and down it's big enough to make 2 8 oz bottles ( I think) or we (I am a consultant) have a pitcher that has it's own paddles in the bottom that you pump up and down to mix if you want 2 qts. They work great for formula!
Let me know if you have questions.... I'd be happy to let you see the items! they are only about 11 -15 dollers.
###-###-####

We used to make a large container of formula (Alimentum) each day and then pour it into bottles as needed. However, unless Alimentum (used because of reflux) is less lumpy, that doesn't really help. We also used Dr. Brown's. Are the BPA-free now? I wish we had known about BPA five years ago. The last thing I want to mention is that our son's pediatrician and two pediatric GIs (one from CPMC and one from UCSF and considered by many to be the best in SF) were adamant that we not add rice cereal (or any other solid) to our son's bottle, despite his reflux, which was relatively severe. I do not remember the exact reason why, but I do know that if it had not been compelling, I would have tried it anyway in lieu of meds. We went with a combo of meds. Please ask a good pediatric GI about adding rice cereal/other cereals to bottles. I know lots of people do this (and some books/pediatricians) may even recommend it. However, both pediatric GIs were strongly against our doing this, and they are the experts. Best to you, and get lots of cheap cloth diapers to keep on your shoulders!

"Shaken, not stirred". I put mine in a small hard plastic bottle and shake it hard for a few seconds and it's fine.

I use to use my old bottles and shake it in that and then poor it into the Doc Brown bottles; but that may be why they didn't do much for my daughter.

My ped. suggested using a blender :)

Are you using warm water to help dissolve the formula? With my kids, I used to make the formula the night before (for daycare).

I would put in the powder formula, then use about 1-2 oz hot water to dissolve the formula (and shake to make sure it was all dissolved), then add the rest of the water cold. I noticed that most brands require the warm water to actually mix properly.

I hope this helps!

: ) E.

Honey,
I have no experience with Doc Browns bottles.
But I did use formula and rice cereal.
I would advise warming the water prior to adding the formula and cereal. Use a jar with a lid to shake it. Warm water, formula....shake shake shake. Then a little more warm water to add the cereal and shake shake shake shake.
It's kind of like making a base for gravy. Put it all in a jar and shake it until you have no lumps. Just add a little of each at a time. And shake in between. Leave the lid off for a while afterwards and then stir to get the air out, but you should turn out with a nice mixture that you can fill bottles with. I actually had a large glass mayonnaise jar from Costco that I did my shaking in. If you just add a little at a time of each and shake in between, you won't need to stir. And, you'll get a pretty good upper body work out.

1 / 3