Lump on Back of Son's wrist...ganglion Cyst?

Hello Moms,

I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this. When I was 8 or so, I showed my mother that I had a lump on the back of my wrist and she took me to a surgeon who said it was a ganglion cyst for which I needed an operation to have it removed. A few years later, I seemed to have it again so once again I had it removed surgically. It is a sensitive area now and has caused some arthritic type aches my whole life since the operations.

Now, my 6 year old son has come to me with what looks like the same thing. I don't want to take him to a surgeon because I believe we may be advised to go through the same procedures without looking at alternatives. I will have our family doctor check it out but I will be against surgery unless it will be absolutely necessary.

Do any of you have experience with this sort of thing? Thank you in advance!

my sons father had one and was smashed with a book. He was a little older than six. It was gone in an instant and never came back, no problems.

I have had ganglion cysts removed from both of my wrists and I have another one in one wrist, in a different spot, that I'll be having removed soon. I would NOT recommend the book method because that can cause it to amastisize (sp??) and then it'll spread out more than before.

I would recommend waiting until it's really bothering him before you see about having it removed.

Good luck!!

I have had a ganglion cyst for most of my life that I can remember, and it comes and goes... My uncle a Dr., and another family friend who is an MD have from time to time when it got bad done a few old fashioned things that they said are still the best way to go about it, since as you discovered surgery does not seem to help much...
They would do two things when it got visibly larger, either A) put a penny on it and tape it there hard so that it breaks itself up or B) freeze it with a spray and hit it with one of those rubber hammers they use to check reflexes.
These may seem archaic but they said that was the best solution, I have not had a problem for a few years now, and I usually got at least a year or two with the solutions above... it might be worth asking a dr. I can still feel mine a little in my wrist but it is much smaller and not bothersome, so if anything those solutions didn't hurt. Good luck!

i had one of those when i was 9yrs old. they just stuck a needle in it and drained it...that was it. never came back. there is always the old way of doing it and slamming a book on it and it apparently pops or something. i couldn't do that ;)

I agree with the last post about "book smashing". Ganglion cysts used to be called Bible bumps. The Bible was the bigest book around and so that is the one doctors used to smash them. They didn't seem to grow back. Also with surgery comes scar tissue & other soft tissue problems. My mom had one on her wrist. Since she was taking her children to orthopedic surgeons anyway she asked one about it. He was an older doctor about to retire (30 yrs ago). He looked at it and got a big book and smashed it. Hope this helps. Also I would consider giving the body what it need nutritionally to support optimal health. I'm a nutritionist if you have questions.
S. Weckter ~ Global Wellness Concepts, Inc. ###-###-####

I think some of these can be drained rather than removed. Check with your pediatrician.

i had a re-occuring ganglion cyst when i was going through ivf and couldn't have it operated. i went to an orthopedic surgeon and he just drained it. i had him drain it 3 times( i think). when i was pregnant it did not re-occur. it's been 10 months since i delivered and so far no cyst. i would recommend having it drained before any surgery. i also stopped doing downward dogs & plank pose during yoga. something about pressure during this pose that made the cyst return.

I have a ganglion cyst on my wrist (not my child) but I did not need surgery. It will ache everyonce in a while but nothing motrin wount take care of. If the Dr. says surgery I would find another oppinion.

Make sure to have the dr check it out and see what it is filled with, Some are chalky and can be broken up. Others are fluid filled. My daughter had a lump on the inside of her wrist and the dr drained it with a needle. She was so intersted in what he did,, watched the whole time and it hasnt come back in 18 years. I, on the other hand, had to lay down to keep from passing out while she had this done!! What a whimp I was! I get a chalky lump on the back of my hand and every now and then bump it on somethng and break it up. It just disolves into your body, but can come back later, even after surgery, as you already found with your own. (o:

Jennifer,

I have a long history of cysts. Typically one on the back of my head which has been removed several times. The surgery should remove the sack so it doesn't come back but I have not had that experience either - they seem to keep coming back. I now have a ganglion cyst on the inside of my wrist along with carpel tunnel...not fun. My accupuncturist recommends an herbal supplement that causes the cyst to drain. It does not get rid of the sack so the cyst will never go away (but then surgery hasn't caused my cyst on the back of my head to stop recurring). The name of the supplement is Blue Citrus by Seven Forests. Not sure if you can buy direct or if you'll need to go through an alternative health provider. It worked for me once then the ganglion cyst came back and I'm on the stuff again.

1 / 3