Lump in Son's Neck

I was wondering if ANY of you have had a child with a lump in their neck. My 4 year old son has a lump about the size of a grape and it's protruding out of his neck. I've taken him to the Dr. twice this week. First time was on Monday wherein they said it is definitely a swollen lymph node caused by a bacterial infection. They put him on antibiotics. I took him back today because it didn't seem to be improving. Today they referred me to a Head & Neck specialist. We have an appointment next Tuesday.

If you've had a child with this please share with me your experience. This is really stressing me out!

Thank you so much Moms for sharing your stories. When I took my son to the Dr. the first time, they asked if he had been sick or had a fever lately. 2 weeks ago he had a high fever which lasted 2 days and up until last Friday he was sick with a cold. They cold never got real bad. He just had a super runny nose and a slight cough. That's when the Dr. said it's likely a swollen lymph node. She examined the lump for about 20 minutes, had him drink some water and looked in his ears, throat etc. She said nothing was red, he wasn't having trouble swallowing so her thoughts were that the lymph nodes were infected. I guess I just wasn't convinced so I took him back to the Dr. They referred me to the specialist. It's nice to hear from you Moms who have experienced this because I personally do not know anyone who has . Thank you again!!!!! I'll keep you posted.

My son was 3 years old when I discovered a lump in his neck. They sent us to an Ear, nose, and throat specialist and she suggested a biopsy to rule out cancer. It was so scarey, but I knew that they needed to rule it out. She and I discussed the fact that if it was cancer and I didn't do anything, it could be worse down the line. I put EMLA cream over the site 30 minutes before the test (numbs the top of the skin) and held him down. That was 15 years ago..the test was negative; he tends to be a "stuffy nose kid" with some seasonal allergies. Best of luck!

I had this happen when I was a teenager. The lymph node behind my left ear swelled up when I was barely even sick (never took antibiotics for it). It took a really long time to go down fully--like 2-3 years to go away mostly. I can still feel the side that swelled is very slightly more of a bump than the one on the other side (over 20 years later). By all means get it checked out but some things heal slowly.

I just posted a question just like this. My son had two lumps on the back of his head/neck area. He's been sick with a virus and everyone said it was swollen lympnodes on mamasource. He has a well check in two weeks so I thought I'd wait until his appointment. I'm glad they referred you. Good luck!

it sounds like a lymph node. Without examining it, however, no one could give you more info than your doc has.

I was told that I needed to have mine removed when I was a teen because the ones in my neck were so very large. When I went to the surgeon he sent me home saying that I had over developed neck muscles from being a gymnast and did not need to have anything removed.

Don't worry until a professional gives you reason to worry. I hope all is well with your little man.

When I was about 12, I was out of state visiting my grandmother when I got a lump on my neck causing some swelling and little bit of pain to the touch.
The dr there said it was a swollen lymph node, but I hadn't been sick. They flew me home to see my own doc.
They didn't know why it was swollen.
I was admitted to the hospital. The lymph node was biopsied and a drain put in. I was in the hospital week. The biopsy was clear. The lymph node drained and they sent me home.
Never knew why. Never had any problems after that!
Some things are just a mystery.

Is this the first time you noticed it? I noticed swollen glands on my son quite regularly - particularly when he was sick with a cold and worried just as you are. We got reassurance from our dr that it didn't appear serious, she thought it was that age (he was about to be 5) where they stretch out and he is now quite skinny (lost baby fat) so glands are more prominent. To satisy my mother worry we did a simple blood test to rule out all those scary disease and all came back clear. If this sounds like your situation then you haven't to worry all will be fine!

I know this can be stressful. We went through this with our oldest daugther when she was 4 (she is now 11). She had this lymph node in her neck that was swollen, was tired, didn't feel well etc. At the time, they told us she had Mono (we did have all the tests done). We continued to battle this for years. She had bouts with the lump in her neck, not feeling well, fever, fatigue, etc. She had a few cases of strep throat but not a huge amount of strep. She missed over 20 days of school in K and 1st grade due to this matter. Finally, got her to an ENT who removed her tonsils and adenoids at the end of 1st grade. She hasn't had any trouble since and is now a very healthy 11 year old.

I am not saying that this is the answer to your concerns, but I do know all the scary things that go through your head. Glad to hear you have been referred to a specialist so quickly and I wish you and your son the best.

Just keep pushing for what you think your son needs.

2 years ago my daughter woke up on Fathers Day with a lymph node swelled on her cheek. I took her in to the doc and he put her on anitbiotics w/o running any tests. The next few day it was getting really bad more and more where appearing, she was lethargic. So I took her the walk in clinic and she tested possitive for MONO. Unfutunity there is nothing that they give her and all that can be done is let it run it's course. She was down for the HOLE SUMMER!! I felt So AWLFUL for her. She missed out on her 9th birthday w/her friends and church camp and swimming her 3 favorite things.
So if he is getting worse Please keep the appointment for the ENT or Head Neck specialists.

1 / 3