Lowfat, Quick Breakfast/lunch Ideas for Mom on the Run

Okay busy moms- I need your help again. I need some ideas for quick breakfast & lunch meals for myself. I need them to be quick, healthy and lowfat. My biggest challenge right now is lunch. For breakfast, I usually can grab half a bagel, cereal or a breakfast burrito w/egg & cheese. Any ideas? I need help with this. Also, if any of you have Dish, do you know of an exercise channel on the Dish? I walk on my treadmill but I would love to find a an alternative at home. Thank you moms!

Moms to the rescue again! Thank you for the great suggestions for breakfast on the go. Sometimes I'm at home but need to make a quick breakfast and be able to eat it before my little guy wakes from his nap or is in his exersaucer. Some great tips: banana with yogurt, microwaved eggs for omelettes or her version of the McMuffin, boiled eggs, smaller portion casseroles etc. Great suggestions! I already took the yogurt and banana one. Protein shakes, flat iron steak tacos for lunch. Thanks again mamas!

As far as foods go, I love my demarle at home pans. It makes making healthy foods that much easier. In the morning, I microwave a couple of eggs, and make my version of the egg mcmuffin. I also make vegetable omelettes in the microwave. For lunch, I tend to make my own frozen meals. I will make a casserole and cook it in one of the smaller portion trays from Demarle at Home, and then freeze them over night. Then I pop them out and wrap them or put them in tupperware. The next day, I can heat them up in the microwave. I usually make two casserole type dishes every couple of weeks, and that keeps me satisfied for two weeks.
Hope that helps!
-M.
www.M..demarleathome.com

Check out hungry-girl.com she has TONS of healthy meal and snack ideas. She has a few microwaveable egg ideas that you make in a mug and take it on the road with you as well as recreations of all your favorite treats.
Another must have for me are the new sandwich thins from Orowheat (sp). They are so good and I toast those and put scrabbled eggs, cheese and Canadian bacon on them. They are great for pretty much anything, burgers, pb&j, turkey sandwiches, etc.
Best of luck and thanks for posting this, I got some great tips from it.

Instant breakfast mixed with nonfat milk, low fat yougert with fresh fruit, cheese sandwich.

I have found the Isagenix shake to be awesome!
www.cindyflesher.isagenix.com
I also do the 1 oz cleanse each night. The Ionix Supreme is great for energy or adding the energy powder to the shake is yummy too!

I know this may sound odd but I don't eat breakfast or lunch or dinner. NO I am not starving! lol I am a snacker. I don't have time to sit down and eat a big meal plus it makes me tired and blah.

I am single mom two very active small boys. So I am on constant run and seems like always in the car.

They say it is healthier. I will snack on carrots, celery, and other dipping veggies with ranch. its easy in the car. I also snack on fruit parts or slices. I make a awesome dipping sauce for it to spice it up. Marshmallow creme, orange juice and ginger. soooo good.

snack bars, granola, on the go yogurt. really good with granola, A lot of good nutritious shakes I can dump in a travel cup. google your favorite fruit and ask for shake recipe.

I also learned from my doctor that a lot of the time your not hungry your thirsty your body is getting dehyrated and already is by the time you start to feel it. I started drinking water and found I was thirsty more than anything.

Edamame pods I warm them up in a skillet with a touch of extra virgin olive oil, pepper, garlic, salt.

Fish believe it or not is really fast to cook. I throw in the oven for in tin foil on a baking sheet and use the tinfoil like a tent. 10 minutes and it is ready to go. little olive oil, garlic, pepper, I like it really seasoned

I can't cook at all but for some reason my fish turns out good.

Crackers and a good cheese with grapes (feel like your in the wine country!)

People swear by the George Foreman grill for fast cooking. I have one but don't use it. (I have no clue why).

Maybe snacking is the way to go???? Easy fast on can throw in a bag.

I eat breakfast in the car on my commute. My go-to is a good ol' pb&j with a glass of milk. maybe doesn't qualify for "low fat" but i use unsalted, natural peanut butter and it really holds me over. OR i make muffins up over the weekend and take a couple of them. i use the recipe on the Bob's Red Mill Ground Flax bag & change it up with what I have on hand - right now it's zucchini. :-) again, with a glass of milk. lots of fiber so they fill you up.

for lunch i do tacos - stay with me b/c it sounds like a lot of work, but really you only do the "work" once and it's super satisfying. i usually prep it while i'm doing sunday night dinner. i get a flat iron steak from the meat counter (approx. 1 lb.) and grill it for 15-20 mintues. let set then slice into thin slices across the grain so it's tender. i put a couple slices of meat in my tortilla of choice and top it with: sliced mango, sliced avocado, super-thin sliced sweet onion, lettuce, a few feta cheese crumbles, a squeeze of lime, a few sprigs of cilantro and my hot sauce of choice. i slice up everything ahead of time and assemble right before i eat (if i have access to a toaster oven or micro i'll heat the meat for a few seconds to take the chill off.) i love this combination of flavors and again, very satisfying, the flat iron steak is very lean, you're getting protein, the good fat from the avocado, all the vitamins from the mango, a little calcium from the cheese ... bliss! oh, and one steak, one mango, one avocado is enough for a week's worth of lunches. i don't get tired of this dish so i don't mind eating it every day.

good luck - i know what it's like to be on the run! of course, it's not my first choice, but it's how it is right now.

I usually eat a protein bar or breakfast bar - lots of protein & fiber, and low fat. I love the products from Apex, but I'm sure you can find a lot of different options out there. But the breakfast bars from Apex taste GREAT! Not like the usual protein bars you think of.

Hope that helps!
-M.
www.M..demarleathome.com

Yogurt and a banana... but maybe you should consider slowing down. Rushing around is terrifically stressful, and it tends to destroy the quality of life.

1 / 3