Lower Right Back Pain

I've been waking up with lower right back pain (just above my hip area) for a couple of weeks, now. I wonder if I'm just sleeping wrong, or if there could be a medical reason for such discomfort? Any ideas or thoughts? Thank you in advance!

The pillow idea has helped tremendously, thank you! Also, as an addition to better health (and possibly kidney function), I've started drinking more water, as well...and I'm in a lot less discomfort today. :) Thanks for the advice, ladies!

The pain I have in my lower back is usually from having a pinched nerve. I see a chiropractor 2xs a month to help with this and neck pain also.

I am a physical therapist who treats women with low back pain all the time. If this pain goes awy when you get up and get moving, your pain may just be the result of how you are sleeping at night. The description of the location makes me think that it is coming from where your spine hits your hip bones, called your sacroiliac joint. Try sleeping with a pillow between your knees and/or a small towel rolled up and placed just above your hip bone if you sleep on your side. If you pain is sticking around and doesn't change depending on how you move, you may have something more serious going on and you should contact your doctor. If the sleeping position suggestions don't seem to help feel free to contact me directly at www.legacytherapystl.com for a screening.

Is it pain or tightness? I know a lot of times I'll sleep on my side with my leg bent over on the bed and I'll wake up with my back feeling really stiff. Maybe try some physical therapy if it keeps hurting. Good luck!

I know this is a little late, but I wanted to add to the responses. I've had the same thing and I've seen a chiropractor who has done wonders. Not only have they done adjustments that helped but he has told me that a lot of times the muscles in our legs are so tight that the lower back compensates for it. So be sure to do some stretches with your calves and especially your ham strings. I stand next to a stool or low chair and put my right foot on it and feel the stretch on the bottom of my thigh. I hold it for 20-30 seconds and then do the other leg. I also do a thigh stretch while standing, I grab a hold of my foot and bring it behind me up to my butt and hold for 20 seconds to stretch the top of the thigh and then change sides. I do a few of these every night before going to bed along with stretching my calves and it helps my back. Also, I'm almost 6 months pregnant with twins and it has helped prevent the pulled muscles I used to get in my calves while sleeping. Hope this helps.

If the pain continues Id get it checked out. You could have kidney stones or a kidney infection!!

You might want to check on how you sit in a chair (if you sit in one at work) if you have a habit of sitting with one leg folded under this can case back pain.

I've been having similar issues. Mine was a chiropractic thing, but my sister and my neighbor both had that and it was a kidney infection. Maybe you should get it checked out.

I have the same kind of pain. For me it is my kidney. If I drink soda, or any other acidic drink I will get this pain.

1 / 3