Lower Back Spasms in Early Pregnancy

Hello I am 10 weeks along and last week began having lower back pain.This week-end I had the worst spasms ever. From my google searches they say it is common due to progesterone and hormonal changes. I never had this with my first. I can't imagine dealing with this being further along. I'm afraid I won't be able to walk. Will this go on through out my pregnancy?

I just got back from my OB visit and had an u/s. Apparently my uterus is tipped back and putting pressure on my lower back. Hence the back pain. The OB couldn't hear the heart beat with the regular monitor ( I had a mini-panic attack) which is why he did the u/s and there was little baby sitting on my back. I hope my uterus tips itself back the right way. Don't know if that's possible. My doctor said things should be ok.

Thank you everyone for your input and advice.

Hugs,

Hi A.. I hope you are feeling better too. Pregnancy doesn't have to be uncomfortable, especially this early. Make sure you are staying active, getting enough water and eating enough protein. Check out www.thelivewellclinic.com for some other help!

I have been dealing with some very similiar back problems. It is aweful. I also did not have this rouble with my first. Let me know if you come up with any good suggestions. I am 12 weeks and there has been times allready where I almost couldnt walk. It is extremly painful. Goodluck

I have always had a bad back so I knew I would have problems during my pregancy. Due to my previous back injury I went to various chiropractors but it never solved or really helped me. She for my pregancy I decided to get messages instead, I just found a place (Message Envy) that had someone who was trained to do pregant messages. they have specail pillows to help support your ever growing belly when on your stomach, it is super comfy. It really helped me to relax... I went once a month and since I was going to go for 8/9 months I signed up as a member and got them for $45 each month.

A good place to find a chiropractor who is trained in the Webster Technique (basically treating pregnant women) is http://www.icpa4kids.org/locator/index.php.

Good luck! I hope it gets better soon.

I would get a referral for a good chiro. I had major sciatic pain with my first pregnancy and went to a chiro for help with that. Also, I've read that your labor is easier if you've been to a chiro regularly during your pregnancy- your body is more in alignment which makes it's job easier when it comes time to get the baby out.

While you still can, work on some back extension exercises to strengthen those muscles.

Because your joints become more loose during pregnancy from hormones, your sacroiliac joint (SI joint) and other joints in your low back are looser, so your back muscles have to do more work to keep your pelvis and low back stable, but they also become more prone to spasms because of the extra work. You can do some strengthening exercises for your abdomen and back, or you can look into purchasing an SI belt, which sits low on your hips and fits snug to help support your pelvis. You can purchase the SI belt from a medical supply store, or possibly a drugstore, and you can also see a physical therapist who specializes in women's health for a few sessions to teach you what to do www.apta.org.

I had lots of back problems during my pregnancies and found that the prenatal yoga classes really helped.

1 / 3