Low Milk Supply/ Motherlove More Milk Special Blend

My daughter is now 2 1/2 months old and I am still not able to breastfeed her exclusively. I have been told that this may just be how it will be because I had a breast reduction years ago. I am determined to breastfeed and I have ordered a product from a company called motherlove. It is called more milk special blend. Does anyone have any advice on increasing my milk supply and does anyone have experience with this product? I'm really counting on this working because I have had a very hard time trying to increase my milk supply.

Its a really good product and you can buy it at whole foods. I took it along with Fenugreek capsules because my supply was very low.

It works for most people but not for me- but I hear great things about it for others.

There is also lactation tea (organic) at wholefoods.

Contact the La Leche League. They may have some ideas.

www.lllusa.org/VA/WebTidewaterVA

Good luck. Keep trying. D.

brewers yeast tablets worked great for me, I took up to 20 per day and could feel my breasts get full with milk about 20 minutes after I took them...also milk thistle can help...good luck and good for you for breast feeding..

I swear by full fat yogurt and astragalus tea. The tea I took to maintain a healthy immune system, but I quickly realized that it helped pump up my supply. Here's more info on it
http://nccam.nih.gov/health/astragalus/

Motherlove is a great product. It works for me every time I feel like my supply is lacking. For more advice you may want to consult La Leache League or a Lactation consultant. They may tell you to pump right after each feeding. I did a combination of pumping and taking Motherlove and before too long I had way, way too much milk! So I just stick with the Motherlove anytime I feel like the baby needs more.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

S.,
How frustrating to have so little response to your attempts to increase your supply!
I have heard good things about the More Milk products from other moms. This product does have Fenugreek in it, which if you are getting enough (your urine will smell like maple syrup) could produce an increase in milk supply within a day or two. I recommend the book "Defining Your Own Success: Breastfeeding after Breast Reduction Surgery" by Diana West. There are also some good articles on the La Leche League website about breastfeeding after breast reduction. Many moms who have had breast reduction have limited milk supply, but it is still worth giving your baby as much breastmilk as you can. You might also find a breastfeeding mom support group (like La Leche) encouraging.

I had a terrible time with nursing and supplemented with formula for most of my son's first year. If you are gauging your milk supply by how much you can pump then you may be guessing wrong about how much milk you can produce. I could never pump adequate milk to feed my baby each day while I was at work (he was home with my husband) but I never had a problem if he was nursing directly. I tried drinking the different teas recommended for increasing milk supply but never noticed any difference in what I was able to pump. I just never could pump very much. One thing I did do was to take to days where I did absolutely nothing but nurse my son as often as he would go along with it--didn't go anywhere or do anything other than nurse and watch tv for two days. After two days of him just nursing constantly my breasts did get engorged more often and I could pump more than I had before. But I had to keep up teh more frequent pumping schedule to maintain that. My bosy always produced more milk at night, as if it could sense that nighttime when I was home I needed more and daytime since it was a pump they could get away with producing less milk because eventually I would give up. By the time my son was 9 or 10 months he was eating enough solids that he was still nursing but not completely dependent on mother's milk for sustenance and we were able to stop supplementing with formula. He got enough milk nursing in the mornings and in the evenings and would have about 4 ounces of pumped milk to drink during the day. It is very frustrating to not be able to pump much or to have to supplement with formula but don't give up. The mother's milk changes at different stages of their development and provides so much that they can't get from cow's milk. You will be glad you stuck it out even if you do have to supplement. I ended up nursing until my son was 20 months old and was a little sorry even then to quit. But after he started on solids we rarely supplemented with formula so he had a solid year of exclusively breast milk. Good luck! It is hard and frustrating but it gets better.

I heard drinking lots of water helps as well as eating a small snack before you feed. Personally, I think drinking milk helps. I used to drink 2-3 cups a day then stopped for a while and I could tell that my son was not getting enough - don't have any scientific proof but just a motherly hunch! Good luck.

I didn't read all of the responses but I skimmed and didn't see the website I was directed to when I had supply issues. http://www.bfar.org/ is specifically for women who are breast feeding after reduction. You might also try http://www.kellymom.com/bf/index.html for information on breast feeding in general.

I pray you are successful in your endeavor to breast feed. I know I was frustrated when my son weaned himself at 9 1/2 months, but at least I got him that far! :)

hello, my doctor always said, the more you do it, the more milk will come, use the pump even if you don't need it, every 2 hours or so for at least 30 min at a time, it should increase, and very important, don't forget to drink alot of water, you should be drinking....take your weight and divide it in half, those are the ounces of water you should be drinking every day. This should be water not just liquid, and no coffee or soda because that would dehydrate you almost immediately. hope this helps

Sweet heart it will be fine. Just keep nursing. I nursed twins twice for over a year each time. The more you nurse the more milk will be produced. My advice is to increase your fluids, mainly water, no caffiene and eat healthy meals. Most important keep a positive attitude and keep trying.

You can do this!!!!

1 / 3