Low Hemoglobin

My one-year old has been having low hemoglobin for five months now. She's been taking iron supplements and her iron level improved (12.5) at 9 months, but today at her 12-month's check-up we learned that it is again at 10.7. We are switching from iron-fortified formula to cow's milk and I can see that will throw off our hemoglobin level even more. Any dietary suggestions to raise the iron level in a picky eater? Flaxseed oil? Fish oil? Anything else? Thank you in advance.

When I was little I remember my mother giving me delicious, soft slices of what she called only "braunschweiger" and I really loved it. I later learned what it actually was and immediately stopped eating it...and learned to forgive my parents for feeding it to me. Braunschweiger is high in iron because it is made from liver.

Try adding more vitamin C to her diet. Vitamin C helps the body absorb iron - often people with low iron are not getting enough vitamin C. Also - try a plant based iron formula or different type of iron supplement. Not all supplements are created equal or are beneficial to each person.

Sounds kind of odd, but my iron was low with one of my children, and my doctor told me I could get some iron from cooking in a cast iron pan.

E.,
Check with your doctor first, but my doctor had my twins on Poly-vi-sol with Iron. It is multivitamin supplement drops. you can find it at Walgreens, or even cheaper at Target.

Hi E.,

There are different vitamins out there, some the iron gets into the system better than others. My mother-in-laws hemoglobin was low and she got it back up when she took the vitamins my company makes. Melaleuca does have a chewable children's version. Feel free to contact me offline for more information.
blessings and health,

Hi E.! Dark green vegetables. Spinach, broccoli, chard, etc. I usually take one or two packages of frozen chopped spinach, defrost it, wring it out thoroughly and then stir it into any kind of casserole, soup or sauce, even dab it on pizza. It really isn't noticeable. Usually I don't cook the spinach first, figuring it cooks enough after it's added to whatever, because I don't want to cook away the iron & vitamins, but you have to judge that based on what you're preparing. (The other benefit is that the spinach is a good, inexpensive extender of your dish!)

Good luck! L.

Did the doctor give any explantion why her levels are low?

I was told my daughter's iron level was borderline at her 12 month visit, so I made the decision not to switch to cow's milk right away. We instead switched to the next step formula (Target makes a generic now if price is a consideration for you). I just wasn't comfortable taking away any good source of iron knowing she was borderline.

1 / 3