Low Fetal Heartbeat and Confusing Progesterone Levels at 7 Weeks Pregnant

Hi Moms,
I was wondering if any of you had similar problems during any of your pregnancies. I am 7 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. My first pregnancy was smooth sailing, but this one has had problems from the start. First, I began with brownish spotting at 2 weeks pregnant. Then, I had an episode at 6 weeks where I experienced dark red vaginal bleeding that stopped pretty quickly. At that time, I went to my OB and they checked my hcg and progesterone levels and sent me to the hospital to have a transvaginal ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a fetal pole and a heartbeat of 95, which is slow. My hcg was within the limits that would indicate a 6 week pregnancy and my progesterone was 19, which was adequate. I had my progesterone and hcg redrawn 72 hours later and when I went to the OB for my prenatal visit the following week.Tthey told me that my progesteone had dropped to 13, the hcg was rising but not as it should and they sent me for another transvaginal ultrasound. This time the heartbeat was 50. I was told that the pregnancy was not viable and I would probably miscarry. Well, today the office called me and the progesterone level went up a little which is not what they expected. I'm going back on Tues to be seen and I'm to call them if I have any more bleeding or any cramping (which I've had none). Sorry for all the numbers and info, but has anyone else gone through this up and down with the progesterone and the uncertainty of miscarriage. I had pretty much accepted that I would miscarry especially with the lowering fetal heartbeat, but the rise again in progesterone is confusing. I'd appreciate any input from anyone who's had a similar experience. Thanks! Also, the second office visit in which I was 7weeks pregnant showed that the fetus was still only measuring at what it had a weeks earlier (6 weeks). This waiting is so hard!

Sounds simular to my experience. I was dianogised with Luteal Phase Defect after 4 miscarriages. On my 5th pregnancy I was given progesterone suppliments until my 12th week. I now have 3 healthy children. Ask your doctor about this.

Hello,
I know exactly what you are going through. My situation didn't turn out very well, but the fact that your progesterone is rising may be a good sign. My sono at 8 weeks showed that the babies (twins) only measured about 6 weeks. My hormone levels had started falling, so they prepared me for the miscarriage, which happened 2 days later. I would tell you to not lose hope yet, because I definitely believe that miracles can happen. Your situation seems more hopeful than mine was. Even though I was told to mentally prepare for the miscarriage, it definitely hit me harder than I thought. I pray that your baby will continue to progress. Hang in there and I'll be thinking about you :)

I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this. I haven't been in this situation, but I have miscarried. I'm sure it is even harder when you don't know for sure if that is whats happening. I hope this turns out well for you.

sounds like there was and or is more then one in the oven, that would explain how you could have your hormone levels drop, the fetal heart rate slow to 95, then have the hormone level raise again. its sad but very common to lose a twin in the early stages of pregnancy. its only very common for a fetus to be smaller then expected, doctors dont know everything, they are just working with averages on that account. when our baby was born at 28 weeks, in our bathroom, my obgyn tried very hard to convince me that the baby was only 24 weeks, which i told him was impossible because the babys father was out of town 24 weeks ago.
K. h.

1 / 3