Low Cost or Free Health Insurance

hello mother's, i'm looking for a free or a low cost health insurance.I have 3 kids 6,4,3 and myself without any health insurance since july 2009. We we're in medi-cal insurace before but they denied us due to my husband's income. He's a salesman paid by commission and not hourly; medi-cal denied us for this cause. He's company medical insurance is way too expensive and we can't afford an additional $300.00 per month for all 5 of us. Could you help? Would really appreciate your advise. Thanks!

Try Healthy Families. Swartenager somehow managed to save it and it is designed for families just like you.

My brother, sister-in-law and niece didn't qualify for healthy families, but they got a good deal through kaiser.
Best of luck,

Hi M. -

You might want to check in with the Healthy Kids program. It is income eligible, but is available for children if they qualify.
Other than that, I do not know of any insurance you can get under $300 month. Good luck!

This is why Obama needs to do something. However, I'm becoming a little doubtful...

Dear M.,
Usually, if you don't qualify for Medi-Cal, they will give you information about the Healthy Families program. It only covers the children though. Their website with phone number and income guidelines can be found at
www.mrmib.ca.gov

I know several kids on that program. My son was on it for a while, but my income dropped, so we were switched to medi-cal. Definitely check into the Kaiser option as well. I know that at one time, Blue Cross and Blue Shield both had relatively inexpensive plans for individuals. They were cheaper because they didn't have maternity or name brand drug benefits, but they did have out of pocket maximums, meaning, once you've paid X amount out of pocket in a calendar year, the policy pays 100% after that. The problem with those "individual" plans is that you have to go through underwriting and they can deny you if you've got certain conditions in your health history.

Best of luck and wishes to you!

For the kids you could do the Child Health Plan depending on your husbands income you would either pay $8.00 or $16.00 per child. Another option for the kids is the Healthy Families. Unfortunately, I don't know of anything for you. We are in the same boat, we pay over $300 a month for my insuance through my husband and only $24. for the kids through Kaisers Child Health Plan.

I've looked into Healthy Familes for my family, and it is just as much as you would be paying for your husband's Ins.

I would double-check, I don't think Medical can DENY your kids, only you. So, I would confirm that....you could just have yourself to worry about.

I have done ALOT of researching on this subject over a 2 year period of time, and there is nothing out there better than the Kaiser suggestion, but only if you qualify.

This is such a sad situation for all of us....

Good Luck....

~N. :O)

Best of luck,

1 / 3