Louisiana's Cutoff Date for Starting School?

What is the date that schools cutoff at to let your child in school? At what age should they start school?

Child has to be 5 on or before September 30 for kindergarten.
Child has to be 4 on or before September 30 for pre-k.

they need to be 5 by September 30th to go into kindergarten

It depends on the Parish. You can check on the school board websites

I taught in St Tammany Parish and the cutoff was Sept 1. I'm pretty sure Sept 1 is the date just about everywhere now. You can always contact the district office of the school system. Pretty much anyone will be able to give you a definite answer.

The cutoff date is September 30. My daughter misses it by just a few days!. She just turned 2 and I have her in a mother's day out program for 2,3,and 4 years olds.The 2 year olds go 2 days a week, 3 yrs go 3 and so on. Some real schools start at 3 years old, I think most start at pre-k which I think is 4 years old.

In Mobile County, Alabama it is September 1st. If you child turns 5 Sepetember 3 then they have to wait till the following school year.

In Louisiana public schools your child must turn five before or on September 30th of the year he/she starts kindergarten. My daughter's birthday is October 15 and although she started out in private school where she could have started at age 4, I waited and started her the following year. It worked out fine for the most part, although it occassionally bothered her that she was a little older than most kids in her class, including her stepsister who was born August of the following year.

I think that the cutoff may vary by state, but in most parishes in Louisiana your child must be 5 years of age by on or before September 30 of the year he or she enters kindergarten.

If you are in a competitive public school district or plan to enroll your child in a private school, I would strongly recommend at least K-4 and probably K-3 to insure that your child is ready for kindegarten. They will be expected to have a mastery of letters and their sounds, numbers, shapes and colors before they enter kindegarten. Those without pre-school tend to be far behind.

Best of luck!

I am originally from Louisiana. I'm not sure what you are asking as far as a cutoff date to let your child in school. They can be enrolled any time of the year. In LA, you are not required to enroll in school until age 7. But generally, as everywhere, if they are emotionally and socially ready, Kindergarten starts at age 5.

1 / 3