Lost/missing Jewelry - Filing an Insurance Claim?

I have very special pendant I was given prior to my wedding.

Several months ago when I was cleaning/organizing my jewelry I'd realized that this piece was missing!

I don't know if I put it away somewhere else? If it fell and got sucked up in the vacuum? Or if a cleaning lady took it?

I hate to blame anyone since it's a complete mystery!

My husband says he hasn't touched it (and I believe him).

So what do I do now? I have torn apart our house several times over, including the dressers, closets, looked in all purses, etc. and it's nowhere.

Do I file an insurance claim or wait longer to see if it turns up? Has anyone else gone through this?

Yes, we have insurance, and I've contacted the agent. Thank you for helping me think this through. I am going to "wait and see" if it still shows up, for now.

It drives me MAD that we are all so reluctant to file insurance claims for "fear" of how it will affect our rates in the future. Isn't this why we have insurance - to get coverage when we need it? I mean we DON'T file insurance claims willy nilly. You'd think that there'd be some aspect of coverage for these "once in a lifetime" incidents before your costs go up.

Anyhoo - thanks all for your input!

You need a jewlery rider or a personal articles policy on your homeowners. That being said, I don't know if they would cover lost items, I know our personal articles policy will. Also, do you really want to file a homeowners claim and risk you insurance going up? Can you prove the value?

Depends on how much the piece was appraised and insured for, the deductible with your insurance and how much your insurance will increase when you file a claim. As the hypothetical question to your agent......THEN, decide if it is worth it to file the claim.

Personally, I have my diamond, watch and earrings covered and it costs me about $1000 extra a year. They are the only pieces I ever wear, I have a specific place they go if they are not on my body so if I wasn't wearing it, it wasn't in the one place where it's stored, then I would look at filing a claim. Unless it is a no brainer and someone hit me over the head in the parking lot or something and took it... then yes, file the claim and I'd be glad I came out of it alive.

Best wishes and I hope it you end up finding it.

I havent read your responses, but I have my wedding rings under our home owners insurance. It was appraise, and has to be put on the policy. If the piece is not covered, you might not be able to get anything. :(

depending upon its value and if you have a jewlery rider, file a claim. With my insurance policy my jewelry rider pays out immediately for any piece valued under $1,999.99. After that - a police report is needed and a picture of the piece.

Call your agent and tell them what is going on. Let them help you make the decision.

GOOD LUCK!!

I would call your agent. I am not sure but I think you have to file a police report to file a claim. Losing things is not covered, at least under my policy.

WE have a jewelry rider on our homeowner's insurance with specific items specifically covered. I'm not sure how it would work for a piece that was not specifically covered & of high value, but you can always call your agent and ask. Do you have a receipt of some sort? I, for sure, would be ripping my house apart before I called.

I know, for sure, if I "lose" my, say, engagement ring...it's fully covered. Talk to your agent! As you can see, you're getting all kinds of facts and opinions from people with different insurance coverage.

I'm an insurance agent in AZ. You need to figure out if its worth it to file a claim or not and it depends on how much the piece was worth compared to your deductible. For example, if it was worth $1400 and your ded is $1000, then it would NOT be worth filing a claim for $400 that will be on your insurance forever. Theft claims are not looked fondly upon by the insurance companies and generally you have higher premiums after filing a theft claim. I hope it turns up, I know that really sucks. Good luck!

1 / 3