Loosing Weight and Don't Know Why

I have two children 2, and almost 10 months. After I had my daughter it took me about 3 months to loose all of the baby weight. Keep in mind though that I didn't do anything extra to help me loose the weight. I have always been thin, I just always thought it was from a high metabolism. After I had my son I came home in prepregnancy clothes. I didn't think anything of it until now. I was weighed at the doctor's office yesterday and I weighed in at 99.6 lbs. I don't think I have weighed that much since before high school. I guess my question is... does anyone think this could be a medical problem? I am constantly getting comments about how thin I look, and if there is a medical problem. I know there are two different kinds of thyroid problems, maybe I could have the one that makes you loose weight. I have some other medical issues going on right now that are not related to the wieght loss. I was thinking about getting my thyroid checked. Oh and by the way, I don't have a loss of appetite or energy, I feel relatively normal. Has anyone experienced anything like this, or know someone who has? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

After I had my daughter I lost some weight, but I was also nery hungry and very tired all the time. I was diagnosed with Graves disease or Hyperthyroidism. I would get a blood test. It is easy to find out.

Mother of 2, married

I had a problem with an overactive Thyroid myself. It is very easy to test with a bloodtest and easy to treat as well. All is well now. Symptoms beyond weight loss may also include: increased appetite, increased heart rate, irritability, trouble sleeping.

HI C.,

About 10% of women experience postpartum thyroiditis. It may very well explain your condition. It does have the hyperthyroidism in it in which you have unexplained weight loss. With the hyperthyroidism you will have much energy and a healthy appetite. While some of us may wish for hyperthyroidism, it does have some long term side effects on your heart and bone density.

I recommend getting it checked out. Your doctor can request a thyroid blood test, including TSH, T4 & T3 levels. You may then be referred to an endocrinologist. Check out some web sites. Your body may be adjusting to fix itself at this point, and the tests may be inconclusive, but I would keep that thought in your mind and have it checked regularly.

Good luck. I'm in the middle of it now, and have a 6 month old.

I went through the same thing and I finally stopped losing recently. I did get my blood checked and it was fine. For myself, I think it not only had to do with running around a lot but also, I make sure my kids eat very healthy and I eat same thing they are eating. Also I have them on very strict bedtime routines and that is another thing I follow along with them. I'm just guessing that this is why I weight the same as I did in high school. It really creeped me out bc through out my 20's and through 2 pregnancies my weight went up and down drastically and at times I would be trying to lose weight and couldn't. I don't know if this helps but just so you know I went through the same thing.

Mother of 2, married

C., I have an underactive thyroid (of course, the one that make you gain weight) but my husband has an overactive thyroid. Check some of the other symptoms that go along with it. Like feeling more hot than others, my husbands hands were just a little shaky too. These were the main symptoms that he had. You may want to check out some websites on this issue. It really does sound like something you may want to get checked. Good luck. Hope this little bit helps.

You definitely should have your thyroid checked, as well as blood sugar levels. Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) will cause weight loss and may actually increase your energy and also cause weight loss. Many women will develop thryoid problems after having babies. Also, if you are breastfeeding, that will often take off weight without even trying...make sure you are taking in at least 500 extra calories a day. I'm surprised your doctor didn't show concern about your weight loss at the visit....you definitely should talk to your doctor.
J. W.

If you are nursing, that will increase the number of calories you burn each day. Combine that with chasing a 2 year old around and you've are buring some serious calories! After nursing my son for 7-8 months, I was considerably below my pre-pregnancy weight (and I did not excercise). I don't know what your starting weight was, but I think 10-15lbs below pre-preg weight is probably nothing to worry about. Put on your skinny jeans and feel good!

definantly have your thyroid checked. i would not wait. i do not think it is a good idea.

It is your health you are talking about, don't second guess it, put your mind at ease, go to your doctor and have some blood work done. If it is nothing ok you know, but why wait, if there is something wrong, you would want care for yourself as soon as possible. Your children and husband need you in your best health and you deserve to it too.
Best of luck.

1 / 3