Loose Baby Tooth in a 4 Year Old - What to Do?

Has anyone seen a 4 year old with a slightly loose baby tooth? I think my son bit on his lolly pop a little too hard and now his tooth is a little loose. Will it heal on its own or do we now have to be careful so it doesn't fall out early? I anticipated the baby teeth would start to fall out at around 6, so want to keep this guy in as long as possible!

Update: it's the middle tooth in the bottom row of teeth. I'll check in with his dentist on Monday. Thanks!

My daughter started losing teeth at age 4, sounds normal to me. I thought it was early at first too. :)

A couple of my kids lost teeth that early. Even if they get knocked out it isn't a big deal since it doesn't effect the adult teeth.

My daughter started losing teeth at 4. No biggie.

Ask the dentist. HOWEVER, my daughter started losing her teeth normally at 4. By the age of 10, she had lost everything she was supposed to and had her 12 yr molars.

Some kids do this. We had a good relationship with our pedi dentist and she had checks every 6 months. She is 16 now with a perfect set of pearly whites. People can't believe she has not had nor needed braces.

Yes, my son lost his 1st tooth when he was 4 1/2yrs. It's an early age to lose teeth, but, it does happen. If he's losing teeth early, he'll probably get his 6yr molars in early too. If it's loose, there's nothing you can do...just let it loosen more and fall out on it's own. Don't try to force anything.

I'd call the ped dentist and ask their opinion. Personally, I wouldn't do anything until it is SO clear that it will fall out that you know nothing will keep it from coming out. Then, if you have the nerve, let it fall out on its own. If you don't, let the dentist help it along.

My 5 yr old bites down on his lolly pops all the time it has not made a tooth loose unless it was ready to be loose. My oldest lost his 1st tooth at 4 yrs old, so it is possable that he is ready to loose it. I would relax and let nature take its course if you are truely concerned call you dentist, he is the expert.

No reason to keep it in - kids can start losing their baby teeth as early as 4. My friend's son has lost two already, and he turned 4 in March. I'm guessing your son got his teeth early, since the earlier they get their baby teeth, the earlier they can lose them. Time to welcome the tooth fairy to your home!!

Kids who teeth early lose them early.

My first lost her first 4 at 4.

My second lost 1 that was NOT ready to come out (it was dead due to trauma), and she's 6. She now has another wiggly tooth that isn't ready because she got hit in the mouth with a surf board (she really needs to learn to keep her face out of harms way!!)

My youngest had 12 teeth by the time he was barely 6 months old... he is 20 months old now, and has all but 1 2 year old molar. He'll lose them early like his eldest sister.

If it's wiggly... get ready to play tooth fairy :)

My son lost his first tooth at age 4. He also got his 6 years old molars too.

We lost baby teeth at 4, 5, and 6. She had her full front top and bottom adult teeth in by her 7th birthday. It may be time for it to come out, you can't estimate when teeth fall out.

That said, don't let them chew on sticky food or bite into stuff that might make it move more. It might tighten up on it's own. Best option though, if it is still loose is get a pediatric dentist to X-ray it and see if the root is damaged. If it is it may need to be pulled so it won't get infected and damage the permanent tooth.

You don't get to decide that your child's first tooth falls out at 6. Some kids lose them at age 4. My oldest was 5. The dentist is not going to "save" a baby tooth on a 4 year old. If the tooth was loosened prematurely, he may have a longer wait for his adult tooth, but this is not a medical emergency or something to be terribly worried about.

It's a little on the early side but within normal range.

Wait-which tooth is it? If it isn't one of the front 4 (top middle or bottom middle) teeth that normally falls out first let a pediatric dentist take a peek at him.

My stepdaughter lost her first tooth at 4. She's now almost 8 and has most of her adult teeth with the exception of some of her molars. I think it just depends on the child.

My oldest lost his first tooth when he was little over 4. Don't worry about it the middle bottom ones are generally the first to fall out :)

Hi S.! I've heard in some children baby teeth start falling at age 4,and I've experienced it withmy now 5 year old.He lost his TWO bottom front teeth at age 4,the permanent ones are in already! He's 5 now and he has the 2 bottom ones next to the incisors (I think that's what u call them) loose now. So don't worry! =)

Hi S., my son is 4 and his front tooth is very loose. He did fall on it when he was 2 but the one next to it is also loose and i was told by our dentist about a year ago that his bottom front teeth are slighly loose. Also, the dentist said that they could be loose but still hang on for a while. I would check with your dentist. He should be getting 6 month checkups anyway.