Loose Baby's Tooth with Permanent Tooth Coming Out Behind It

My 5 year old has been wiggling her loose tooth for a week (front lower). I just noticed today that the permanent tooth is coming out behind it. I have read that we could just let the baby tooth come out naturally (since it's already loose) and the permanent tooth will move forward to its rightful place as it comes out.
But, I've also read that some dentists recommend pulling the baby tooth out immediately to prevent the permanent tooth coming out crooked.
I have left a voicemail with her pediatric dentist, but was wondering what you have experienced with your own kids and dentists.

THanks for sharing!

I spoke to my daughter's pediatric dentist and he said to let the baby tooth come out on its own, by wiggling it. He said to call him if it doesn't come out in 2 weeks. He said not to worry about the permanent tooth being crooked because it will most likely move itself forward to the right position. And I have her regular dental cleaning appt. in August anyway, so he'll check on its position too. Thanks everyone for your response and sharing.

My daughter had the same problem with both her two front teeth. I took her into the dentist and She just extracted the baby teeth. She gave her a nubming agent and basically wiggled it out. Super easy!

The same thing happened to both my daughter's teeth on the bottom. I pulled the baby teeth myself and her adult teeth moved right into the proper place, no problems. I found tying dental floss around the baby tooth helped me to pull it out with minimal stress to her, since the floss cut the roots. Just use a slip knot.

My daughter is in the same situation - we just saw her dentist 2wks ago and he told her to keep wiggling the loose one since it may not come out as readily with the tooth being located behind it. The hope is her tongue will push the other adult forward after the baby tooth is out of the way. Long term she will probably need braces though.

Our dentist has said that if it's a bottom tooth to let the baby tooth come out on its own, but if it's a top tooth, the baby tooth needs to be pulled. Hope that helps.

H. Fahrner

Both of my daughter's lower front teeth did that. The baby teeth were loose, but not loose enough to come out yet and the permanent teeth came in behind. The teeth came in of course not correctly but since she has been seeing an orthodontist & had a lateral arch put in behind her bottom teeth to make for room for her teeth. I had never seen teeth come in like that but the ortho. said it is more common than you realize. Good luck! My daughter is 7 yrs. & after getting the arch in December, her teeth have straightened out alot!

since it's loose I would encourage her to wiggle it until it comes out. I had to have two baby teeth pulled as a kid and it was horrible.

We had the same with my daughter. I called dentist and was told it would be fine. Let it fall out and when there is room, the teeth will move into place. No worries.

It stayed back until the other front lower tooth came out. When the other teeth on the sides move out, there will be more room for the teeth to slip into place.

My almost 8-year-old daughter had the same problem. I was very concerned about the permanent tooth (teeth) coming in crooked if the baby one wasn't falling off. She has been seeing my dentist since she "grew up" going to that office and he's wonderful. I brought her in to check about 3 times in four weeks last November, when she had her first loose tooth and the permanent one was coming out. My dentist assured me that once the baby tooth falls off (it was loose but didn't fall off for a very long time), the permanent one will move into place--she'll be naturally pushing her permanent one forward with her tongue and it won't go beyond where her other teeth are. I am happy to share that that's what happened! Now she has four loose ones, two of which have a permanent one coming up behind them! I also found that some dentists are eager to pull that loose baby tooth out! I did check with one pediatric dentist and that's what they wanted to do. But I trust my own dentist and was comfortable having him check to make sure it was all OK--with that first loose tooth. I feel like I have been rambling. I hope I made some sense to you. Good luck! ~N.~

This happened with my son's top front teeth. We weren't too concerned and left both sets of teeth there for a long time, hoping the baby teeth would fall out, while the permanent teeth kept on descending. The baby teeth were wiggly but WOULD NOT come out! One day, we noticed something white sticking out of his gum where one of the baby teeth had detached ... it looked like a piece of his baby tooth was broken off at the root and remained lodged in his gum. We took him to the dentist, just to make sure nothing was weird. Turns out, food had become lodged in the portion of my son's gum where the baby tooth had detached and was being pushed into the partially empty tooth socket every time the tooth wiggled. The dentist said we were lucky we came in because the decaying food could have caused an abcess in my son's gums if we had ignored it. The dentist pulled both front teeth so my son could get a toothbrush in there and keep that area clean. I don't want to scare you (and once the baby teeth were out everything was totally fine), but I didn't see this in anyone else's response and I figured it was worth your knowing so you could look. HTH:)

As a dental hygienist, I nor have any of the dentists I've worked for ever recommended pulling the baby tooth, unless there were situations that required for it to be extracted/pulled Since her permanent tooth has erupted and is visible, I would say let the baby tooth fall out on its own, or if you'd like, have your daughter speed up the process by wiggling it with her tongue throughout the day. Nature will take it's course and her permanent tooth will line up as it may once it's fully erupted. She may or may not require orthodontics in the future. Not to worry but if you're not comfortable with this, take her to see a pedo dentist, she's the perfect age to be seen and have her teeth cleaned and maybe even have xrays taken to see her alignment. Hope that helps! Best of luck and may the tooth fairy be ready!

1 / 3