Looking to Get My Child Tested for Possible Developmental Skills

I was wondering if anyone has had their child tested for physical or mental development. My husband is worried about my son, who was a preemie and still small for his age. 3rd percentile, he is isn't talking much and doesn't "run" like other kids his age. I think it will come with time with him but my husband is VERY worried, so I told him that maybe we should get him tested and see what professionals think. My son is very smart and I want to put my husband worries to rest. Please let me know who I can call or if you have had your child tested. My son is 22 months old. Thanks

They (Early Intervention came yesterday and they were wonderful. There was four therapists who "played" with him. There was a speech, OT/PT Therapist and what they call a global therapist. They came to the conclusion that my son could benefit from speech therapy as well as a playgroup (OT/PT) setting. They also said that he may need some more supportive shoes-possibly orthopedic shoes, since my son feet turn in some when he "runs". They were wonderful and I would tell any parent who thinks that their child who may need some extra help to call them. It doesn't cost anything to have them tested and it is a fun time at your OWN home. Thanks to everyone who responded-you guys rock!

My daughter goes to City Kids by Nothwest Hwy. and Nagel. The phone number is###-###-####. I went through a service (I don't remember the name, but they has her evaluated my a developmental and physical therapist. I'd try City Kids and they will tell you what step to take.
Hope it all works out.

If you have any doubts, just get him tested. The earlier they catch stuff the better.The March of Dimes does testing.

If you live in the city, UIC also has an early intervention program for both physical and mental development - they do a great job. Let me know if you want their contact info (I dont have it off the top of my head or I'd post it).

I am surprised your pediatrician has not recommended an evaluation? Many preemies if they were really early receive an evaluation. My only advice would be to contact your ped to get a place to do the eval or contact your home school district so they can recommend a facility. You should definitely have it down NOW if you are worried.

A. K

The school district should be able to do it for you. Remember that a premie will be up to his premie peers not children how are older. I think it sounds like he is fine. The doctors may also have someone how can test your son. You instincts are best thought. Enjoy your son.

In addition to all the helpful information you received already, I just wanted to add that we just finished with EI for our son at the end of April. It was the best experience I could have wanted for our son. At about 2.5 yrs of age, he didn't seem to be developing at the same rate as other kids his age with his verbal and fine motor skills. We were nervous about the outcome, but the therapists were wonderful as well as the pediatric specialists who helped us at Illinois Masonic where our son was officially diagnosed. I can't say enough good things about our experience. He was evaluated at about the 21 month range for verbal and motor skills. Once we had his vision tested, he was fitted with a pair of glasses and blew away our EI team with his improvement. Our son is now attending the Early Childhood program with our school district and is barely 6 months behind for his appropriate age skill levels for both verbal and motor skills. The ultimate goal is that he will be ready for kindergarten on time. I wish you all the luck with the program. My best advice is to ask as many questions as you can and try to keep up wih the tasks the therapists suggest each week. It's a great experience to share
with your child and husband. Good Luck! Judy

You are so wise to be looking into this. If you have any question at all about your child's development, this is an important step to take. As an early childhood educator, I wish evaulations were routine for all young children since if the evaluation uncovers anything, early intervention is often very effective. Screenings and early intervention services are available at no cost to parents. For children under 36 mos (like your son) any services are delivered in the home. Children over three years are often part of a classroom situation. Illinois' Early Intergvention Services are handled through Child and Family Connections (CFC). Why don't you start with a call to Laura Hansen who is a social work consultant for the program in the Chicago area: ###-###-####. Let me know if you need further information: ____@____.com there are things your son can be helped with, that's great. If it turns out he's on a normal developmental track, that's great news too, and peace of mind for both you and your husband.

K. M

Someone from Easter Seals came out once a week to work with my godson until he turned 3 and could attend a pre-school. i would try them. Good luck.

Call your local Easter SEals,your ped willh ave the number too. Not sure what county you are in. They will evaluate and see if they qualify for services. I feel this is an EXCELLENT program. Both my kids had speech come to the house 2 times a week. This is available until they are 3 then they get evaluated by Public School. The name of the program is Early Intervention. I truly believe this makes a HUGE difference. I learned a lot from the teachers on how to best play and learn with my kids and now they not only are no longer delayed but are far beyond!! Good Luck and don't sweat it it certainly can't hurt to have him evaluated!!
If you watn more info contact me and I can help.

Hi
Iam not sure where you live but most communities have a early intervention program that will test him for free if he is under 3. after 3 you need to ocntact your local school district.
DuPage Early intervention is ###-###-####
toll free 800-637-7181
e-mail me with any questions
B. B.
www.gottotsinc.com

1 / 3