Looking for Sweet Songs Written About or to Children, Especially Little Boys

Hi!

I am looking for sweet songs written about or to children, especially little boys to run during a slide show of pictures of my son we are showing at his 2nd birthday party. All I can think of right now is Forever Young by Bob Dylan and Beautiful Boy by John Lennon. Can anyone think of any others? Hopefully soon as his party is this Sunday, March 1st!

I love Raffi's "All I really need is a song in my heart, food in my belly, and love in my family" Catchy little melody, too.

I've always loves "A New Day" by celine dion. And "arms wide open" by creed is quite beautiful too. It's more about the upcoming birth of a child but the hopes he sings about make me teary. Have fun and good luck!

There's a song from a little-known of-Broadway show called Starmites - "My Little Hero." I sing it to my almost-three-year-old every night before bed.

One of my favorites is "The One Who Knows" by Dar Williams, off of her album, The Beauty of the Rain. It could be sung to a boy or a girl. It is actually the song we danced the father/daughter--mother/son dance to at my wedding:

Time it was I had a dream,
And you're that dream come true.
And if I had the world to give,
I'd give it all to you.
I'll take you to the mountains,
I will take you to the sea,
I'll show you how this life became
A miracle to me.

You'll fly away,
But take my hand until that day,
So when they ask how far love goes,
When my job's done, you'll be the one who knows.

All the things you treasure most
Will be the hardest won.
I will watch you struggle on
'For the answers come.
But I won't make it harder;
I'll be there to cheer you on.
I'll shine the light that guides you down
The road you're walking on.

You'll fly away,
But take my hand until that day,
So when they ask how far love goes,

Before the mountains call to you,
Before you leave this home,
I will teach your heart to trust
As I teach my own.
But sometimes I will ask the moon
Where it shined upon you last,
And shake my head and laugh and say
'It all went by so fast.'

You'll fly away,
But take my hand until that day,
So when they ask how far love goes,

"Baby Mine" either by Bette Midler or Alison Kraus. I sing it every night to my 1 year old daughter and 3 year old son. Alison Kraus's version is better. The original song was from Dumbo.

"Baby Mine don't you cry. Baby Mine dry your eyes. Rest your head, close to my heart, never to part, baby of mine.

Little one when you play, don't you mind what they say. Let those eyes, sparkle and shine, never a tear, baby of mine.

If they knew sweet little you, they'd end up, loving you too. All those same people who scold you, what they'd give just for the right to hold you.

From your head down to your toes, your not much, goodness knows. But your so special to me, sweet as can be, baby of mine."

I sometimes change up the last verse like this:

"From your head down to your toes, your so sweet, goodness knows, and your so special to me, cute as can be, baby of mine."

Rod Stewart has a nice slow version of "Forever Young" on his "The Very Best of" CD (I think that is the one). Also Billy Joel's "Lullabye" is wonderful. The Pretenders "Loving You is All I know" is so sweet.

Raffi's "Quiet Time" CD version of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." Love that whole CD!

If the video highlights how special the day is for you too, Mom, then I don't think you can ever go wrong with 10,000 Maniacs, "These are the days." I'm sure whatever you choose will be spectacular!

Hello S.,

The best and first song that comes to mind is "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" by John Lennon, he wrote it for his son Sean.

It is a great song.

Hopes this helps!

I do slideshows of my kids every year as gifts to my parents and in-laws and I have used some great songs...just this year I did a tribute to my 3 year old son to Beautiful Boy... however, I used the Celine Dion version off of her "Miracle" album. It is a fantastic version and I liked it more because it was being sung from mother to son. In fact, check out that whole album... it has some really sweet songs. Some other great songs are "I Hope You Dance" by Leann Womack, "My Wish" by Rascal Flats, "Beautiful Life" by Fisher, there's always the awesome "Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World" combo song by Iz.
One year I used all oldie/classic/kiddie songs like "A Bushel & A Peck", "Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby", A, You're Adorable", "Babyface" etc.... that year was a huge hit!!
Good luck finding the song that suits you/your son the best. I'd love to know what you end up using and/or if you find any other good ones as I am already thinking about next year's songs!!
Have fun celebrating
N.

1 / 3