Looking for Shelter to Donate Old Toys/clothes To

Hi Moms,
I have been cleaning out my drawers and closets and have a bunch of good toys and clothes. Does anyone know of a women's shelter that would take these? I would take them to Salvation Army, but, in this economy I know that things would be more appreciated if they didn't have to pay for them. I'm looking at the Madison Heights/Royal Oak/Troy area.

Though it is not exclusively a woman's shelter, South Oakland Shelter is a wonderful shelter. They are located in Royal Oak on Main St. just north of 11 Mile. Their phone number is ###-###-####.

Hi G.,
I know just how you feel. I looked around and found a shelter in Pontiac called 'Light House'. It's by the hospital. Its for (Battered woman and children) who basicly have to pickup and go from the envirment they have been in. I have been donating there for two years now and my 3 girls 14,11,7 do also. They realize they are helping others who really need there help. The up side is they do not have to pay for anything. A few times when We have dropped thing off they call the woman down right away. The staff does not rummage through and take what they want(like the other charities do), it goes right to the woman & children. You can also write the donations off on your taxes(up to $500.00). The address is
130 center Street Pontiac Mi Phone ###-###-####.
They do have another location which also does donations and other types of services for Families.
I hope this helps you. Good luck.
A.

Hi G.,
I always donate to Vietnam Veterans or St. Vincent de Paul.
You can find both numbers on the web. Vietnam Veterans will let you pick the pickup day online and leaves a bag and a donation letter for you to fill in. THey also takes toys, small furniture, kitchen stuff.

There is a terrific shelter located in Pontiac - Grace Centers of Hope. I know that they can always use clothing for their residents. To learn more about Grace Centers of Hope, please visit their website www.gracecentersofhope.org

This shelter is amazing and the work that they do on just donations is even more amazing!

God's Helping Hands - I believe that is the name and I believe it is in Rochester.

Or - put things on Craigslist under Free or the kids section.

My friend runs a shelter for mom's and kids. It't called TLC:

Trudys Loving Ctr
Address: 14225 Frankfort St, Detroit, MI 48213
Phone: ###-###-####

There's a women & children's shelter in Royal Oak called HAVEN. You can contact them and ask if they will except donations.

http://www.haven-oakland.org/index.html

You could try Judson Center at 13 and Greenfield, Haven in Pontiac, a teen center in Royal Oak and any shelters for the homeless would be happy to get them. You might want to call Red Cross and see if they take such items for their emergency program.
Also call Churches like Kensington in Troy that may have donation programs.

The lighthouse in Pontiac is a wonderful organization that helps young women or women from abusive relationships get back on their feet. They take all sorts of donations. You need to call in advance to set up a time to drop off your items. I have donated many items from baby clothes, womens business suits, shoes, car seats and strollers. From what I have heard, they are very appreciative when they get baby donations and womens clothes. You are not able to walk in to drop off your donations. You will have to ring the doorbell and speak through an intercom. Very secure place for the women and children that stay there. Also, The Haven, another shelter for women who have suffered from domestic violence, again located in Pontiac, welcomes these types of donations as well.
Best of luck in finding the right place. Where ever your items end up, I know it will brighten someone's day. :)

1 / 3