Looking for Public "Free" Preschool, or preK for My 4 Year Old Son, Chandler

Hello, we are moving from San Diego and I really want my son in a structured school environment, but the cost of a traditional preschool does not fit in our budget at this time. I had just received my acceptance for state funded preschool in CA, but of course now we are moving. I know that other mother's advice usually comes from experience, so that is why I am here, requesting other mamas!

if he will turn 5 before dec 31, he can go to a charter school for free because he could be in kindergarten. my daughter turns 5 in september, we didn't want to push her into kindergarten so we decided on montessori education center they have a primary class for 3, 4 and 5yr olds. my daughter will stay in the class for 2 years and then move on to 1st grade. so she'll basically be in kindergarten type setting for 2 years. the one we found is on gilbert and adobe in mesa or lindsay and southern, but i know there are other montessori charter schools around the valley. good luck

Hi H.,

I think the only "free" or state funded preschool is Head Start. If you qualify, you may want to look into enrolling your him. You have to be in a really low income:

(from the website) your household's annual income before taxes must not exceed $10,830 if one person lives in the household; $14,570 if two people live in the household; $18,310 if three people live in the household; $22,050 if four people live in the household; $25,790 if five people live in the household; $29,530 if six people live in the household; $33,270 if seven people live in the household; $37,010 if eight people live in the household; and $40,750 if more than eight people live in the household. For larger households, add $3,740 for each additional person in the home.

Hi H.. Most Mesa Public Schools have a program called Young Learners. They only accept kids who will turn 5 between September 1 and December 31. It is a totally free kindergarden program. I've heard rumors due to budget cuts that they might not offer it next year, but its worth a try. If you go to the mesa public schools website, you can find a school nearest you and check it out. My daughter did it 2 years ago and loved it. Its 5 days a week and you can either pick mornings or afternoons. Hope this helps!

H.,
I am not aware of a free preschool, with the possible exception of a Head Start program. Also, you might call 1st Presbyterian Preschool in Mesa. I do believe they have some sort of state subsidized program that integrates with their preschool. If that doesn't work out, King of Glory Preschool in Tempe is a great preschool with very reasonable tuition. There are several reviews for King of Glory on Mamasource. Their website is www.kogaz.org. Click on "preschool." Hope this helps.

They have cut alot of programs so there is head start which honestly may be full by the time you apply. There is a city program called Apples to Zebras through city of Chandler. Its 2 hours a day 2,3, or 4 days I believe. Its supper cheap. You pay like 144 for a few mos. My daughter is 4 and loves it! So thats another option check city programs that may have more classes similar to that:)

Hey H., you are similar to me. I have an almost 19yo, 4.5 yo, and a 3.5 yo. :)

IF your toddlers need any type of developmental assistance, you can receive some free preschool with the Kyrene School District & they accept from out of boundaries. They do need to be screened and evaluated by the district. My sons need and speech and language assistance & they attend for free. Half the kids need some assistance, the other half are "typicals". The class really isn't divided at all and they all learn together. We absolutely LOVE it!

http://www.kyrene.org/preschool/#Kyrene%20Special%20Progr...

1 / 3