Looking for Opinions/suggestions for Double Strollers

I am due with #2 in mid-January, and since #1 came early I think it's time I got serious about double strollers! My son will be 16 months when my second is born, so I don't think the sit-and-stand strollers will work for us. He needs an actual seat.

Does anyone have any opinions on tandem vs. side-by-side? Any recommendations on brands to look at/stay away from? Also, does anyone have experience with the brand "Jane"? It is fairly new from Spain, and they have an all-terrain tandem I've read good things about, but it's a bit $$...any info is greatly appreciated!

Thank you to everyone who responded to my request! I have been doing more research, and recently took a trip back up to MD to talk to the "stroller gurus" at a locally owned store up there. I have decided to hold off on buying a stroller until the little one gets here in January. Peg Perego is coming out with an all new Aria SBS stroller with a 60/40 split, so you can put a carseat in one side and the toddler in the other. I'm hoping it's as great as they claim because that is what I'm looking forward to buying. Until it comes out I'll probably just sling it!

I am due in a month and I have been obsessing over the issue of double strollers lately. I am being consulted by the stroller queen herself (strollerqueen.com) and this is what she recommends:

1. Mountain Buggy double with carrycot (because excessive use of infant car seats can be harmful even deadly!). Great workhorse. Can be hosed down after being at the beach.
2. Joovy Groove 2 for the car. It works with one hand. I have also heard good things about the Maclaren Twin Techno but stroller queen will tell you it's heavy and you need both hands to steer.
3. Joovy Ultralite Caboose. Accomodates an infant car seat for short trips. Toddler can sit or stand on the back. Like to Joovy 2. Easy to fold and lift.

Other ones to consider: Phil and Ted's Sport w/ doubles kit, Valco runabout Trimode twin, Rockstar Baby esprit, Jane Power Twin (small seats though) http://www.strollermama.com/baby-stroller-twin.htm

Some of the above aren't cheap but you get what you pay for, right?

I'd love to know what you decide...

A.

There is a tandem that Eddie bauer makes that is great. It is a tan color and black. It folds up like a single umbrella stroller so it takes up less room and it is lighter weight than a normal one. It is also very easy to push. You can find it at target for 149.99. SO it isn't a bad price either I hope this helps.

I would try these stroller out if at all possible. I have found some strollers are hard to move around. I do not have any experience with a double stroller how ever you are going to be using this stroller for a long time get one that is made well and moves around well for you. Another thing I have noticed some strollers have shorter handles which make it uncomfortable to push.I would really want to try out the stroller first.

I had to have a double stroller and I prefered the tandem, you are able to get around alot easier especially when you go to the mall and have to move through the tight spaces in the departement stores. I have seen the other one and it makes it hard to make thoses tight spaces.

I tried the sling for a while but it really made my back hurt and I was unable to pick up my older child with the baby in the sling.

I used the Graco Duo Glider tandem type. A side by side does not fit well in store aisles.

Good Luck to you!!!

One thing to consider is, if you're going to use your infant car seat from your son, will it fit onto the double stroller you are looking at. For that reason, I got the Jeep tandem. I got it at Burlington Coat Factory for about $140 but that was a few years ago. I have 2 boys and the older one loves that steering wheel on the front. There was pretty good leg room in both seats (as the boys got older, they had to take turns in each seat), both seats recline (the front one just enough to allow some head support for a nap, but not enough the smash the legs of the one in back), and it worked with all infant carriers. With the side by side, you risk having trouble getting through aisles if it's too wide or not lasting very long if it's too narrow. With the tandems, they're a little tough to steer at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Good luck and congratulations!!

Considering they will be so close in age I would get a side by side. Unless you get a big expensive tandem like the Peg Perego the front seat is fairly useless for anything more than sitting. The Graco, Evenflo, etc have only partial recline like a carseat but no sides to support the sleeping head like a carseat. They also have fairly low seatbacks so cant be used as long. Now if your son never naps in the stroller than thats another situation.

Side by Side should fit through most standard doors at the mall and are easier to push but you could possibly have issues with aisles as I haev that just with my single stroller.

The only thing I have heard of the Jane Powertwin is that the front seat is small but your son is only 16 mo old so that may not be an issue. I dont think Jane is new though just new to the US.

For side by sides I would check dimensions ones less than 32" should fit through doorways but the less the better 31" or less will give you more wiggle room. The cheaper swivel wheel joggers run around 30-32". You can get a pricier swivel wheel jogger like the Mountain Buggy or Baby Jogger City Series though at 30" or less. Then if you dont plan to use outside you could look at the lightweight doubles. I didnt like the back wheels or the push of the Peg Perego Aria Twin so we opted for the Combi Twin Savvy b/c I knew it fit through doors (my sister has one) easily. There is also the Chicco Twin, the Inglesina Twin an dthe Maclaren Twin

Stay away from the Evenflo Tandem sold at Target! The back wheels buckled in on mine and on a friend's. She got her money back, but I didn't because it had been over a year since I BOUGHT it. I had only been using it for 4 months.

When we went shopping for our baby's stroller we just google searched them and then compared the ones that were in our priceline, and met the criteria's we were looking for.

When my second child was born (a girl),my first born was 22 months old(a boy). So, I knew I needed to do something because he was not at the age were walking all the time everywhere was his cup of tea. I researched alot of double strollers online trying to find a good one that wouldn't put us in debt and ended up going to Wal-Mart instead. Surprisingly, they had one that was fairly priced and the brand was a well known one that I knew would hold up to anything. It was a Jeep Wrangler XT Tandom Stroller and the cost was $130.00. I loved it because you could put the carseat in the back and the older child rode in front. When your daughter gets older where she is sitting up better then the carseat can be removed and she can sit in the back. If you want to check it out you can go to www.walmart.com and then go to the baby section and look at double strollers. I promise you that it will save you money and last a long time. Hope this helps.

1 / 3