Looking for Good Summer Day Camps for 6 Year Old

I am trying to figure out what to do with my daughter over the summer. I work full time, and would like her to be able to have fun. Her school offers a program, but its the same thing she did last summer. I want her to have new adventures this summer. I just cant seem to find any day camps in this area. I am planning on going to the camp expo next weekend. Does any one have any suggestions for or against camps?

WOW thanks for all the responses! I have a lot of research ahead of me, but at least now I don't feel so lost. She's my only child and being new the area does not help. Thank you so much for all the great suggestions.

I know Roseville has a ton of summer camps, and they are popular. I beleive you can find them all on-line through Roseville parks and rec. Also, American Montessori Academy has an excellent summer program. Each week has a new theme and it is all about fun! They are located in Roseville off of Douglas near Trader Joes. I know they give preference to all their own students first, but I beleive they usually have space in Summer. It's agreat school.

Have you looked at Roseville Parks and Recreation? I'm not sure the starting age, but they have swimming, and a bunch of other camps.

The Sacramento Zoo has a good one. Also, Shalom School (you don't have to be Jewish - I'm not) has a good summer camp. Also, check out Busy Bees Studio (on Fair Oaks Blvd. across from the Pavilions shopping plaza. www.busybeessstudio.com

oops

the message from allison r is actually from me - S. r - allison's mother. we use the same computer and she did not sign out when she was done and I was automaticly sign in under here name.

I don't know what school your daughter goes to, but Brighton Schools (in Folsom and Granite Bay) have an excellent summer day camp program. They do so many fun activities with the kids each week... fieldtrips, cooking, swimming at the Folsom Aquatic Center, plays, etc. I think the time to sign up for summer is right about now. I believe they have a website you can check out. My daughter went to them for before/after school daycare and summer camp for 2 years or so... and just loved it. (She's in middle school now). They staff are wonderful. It is a great program. Good luck!

Offer her suggestions and let her decide what she wants to do! You want to help her feel like she has some power and say in her own life, and she will love you for it later!
Love, L.

There is a great summer camp in the bay area run by Galileo.

they have some new locations, I just checked the summer camp locations site.

http://www.galileoed.com/

So fun! But in the Bay Area. Not sure if we have something similar in the Sacramento region.

When I was really small there was a Kids on Campus program at CSUS, where you basicall enroll in a few different classes for a week or so (baking or gymnastics or what have you) and there was also a day camp out by the river called Camp Sawdabaca that I remember really liking. I think it was available through city or county parks and rec? Good combo of day care/summer camp. I have no idea if these are still running.

Other than that, I am a Camp Pendola alum, and that's a sleepaway camp run by the Catholic Diocese.

From what I can tell, sleepaway is the best adventure for really independent kids, but it's ridiculously expensive.

West Sacramento has an easy to access website for camp info:
http://www.cityofwestsacramento.org/cityhall/departments/...

Effie Yeaw Nature Center (in Carmichael) has summer camps (some half, some full day) and your daughter would definitely not be board at one of theirs. My son use to attend their half day camps when he was younger. You'll have to call them to get the info on their camps. I'd do that soon if you are interested in finding out more about them; they fill up quickly. You could also try the Discovery Museum's all-day science themed camps (the Auburn Blvd one, not the one in Old Sac --you live in CH, so it's closer to you). Theirs can be a little pricey, but oh-so-fun, too! Another idea is Maidu Interpretive Center's camps in Roseville (great camp options there to keep your daughter happily engaged all day), as well as Roseville Parks & Rec's camps. Sunrise Parks & Rec also has full-day camps and they are in Citrus Heights, if you want something close to home. Also, Merryhill Schools offer full-day summer camps (for kids from any school, not just theirs) and they have some really interesting options/themes to their camps. Theirs, like Discovery Museum, can be a bit pricey (but still a fun option if you don't mind the cost). Some of the ones I've suggested are do not run all summer, but I figured that you could sign your daughter up for one of the less expensive full-day camps and take a week or two of the pricier themed camps to mix things up a bit.
Good luck! I hope you find the rigth fit for your daughter.
M. B

1 / 3