Looking for Good Preschool in Los Gatos/Cambrian Area

Hi Mamas,

I'm looking for a pre-school for my now 2.5 year old daughter in the Los Gatos/Cambrian area of San Jose. Since I work full time, a co-op is not an option, unfortunately. Some things on my wish list for a good school:

- Great balance of academic, social, physical and real life skill development (most important)
- Part time options
- Good environment in terms of other families and kids who participate
- Totally open to a spiritual-based facility, although not a requirement
- Great teachers, processes and structure to the facility

I've visited a few sites but was not blown away by any of them. Any suggestions please welcome! Thanks.

I really liked Bright Horizons in LG. We had out daughter go part time and the teachers are very nice. Good Luck!

We love Grace Preschool in Los Gatos. It is at the United Methodist Church right near the high school. It has a play based philosphy and great, nuturing teachers. This is our second year there, and we will attend again next year as well. It is only a preschool, but they do offer an extended afternoon where children can stay through lunch. Registration for new families starts the middle of this month - you can set up time to visit. I would highly recommend it! Good luck!

St. Elizabeths Day Home in San Jose is wonderful. The teachers and staff are very loving and they have daily activities such as art, science, woodshop ect. as well as educational curriculum. They are located near Fruitdale and Meridian. They are worth checking out.

Check out St. Stephens School, 420 Allegan Circlem, san jose. I've had two daughters there from preschool - 8th grade. The program covers all that you mention - academic, social they're also taught spanish! Its episcopal school, so spiritual based but with wonderful diversity everyone is welcome and accepted. There is also daycare and full day preschool offered.

Hi C.
I'm not sure if you have checked out ATLC preschool, located right off of Union Ave. I'm a former teacher and mommy of four girls now, and all of mine have loved it there. Our youngest will going in the Fall. The acronym is short for A Tyson Loving Care Preschool. Good luck.

Our 3-1/2 year old son goes to Little Oak two mornings a week, and we're happy with it. This was our son's first experience in a group daycare setting, and he loves it. Little Oak takes infants, so that would be a plus for you.

Our daughter, who is now in 2nd grade, went to St. Elizabeth's Day Home over in Willow Glen from ages 2-4-1/2 (kind of between Leigh and Meridian, right near 280). We used to live near SEDH and continued taking her there even when we moved to LG -- we loved it that much. The youngest they take kids is 11 months, so it might not work out for you just yet, but if you can make it work, I highly recommend SEDH. Caring teachers and faculty, great program, huge campus, incredible sense of community.

Hi C.-

We also live in Los Gatos and we have both of our kids enrolled in the APJCC (Jewish Community Center) on Oka Road in Los Gatos. Although we are not Jewish, we love the school and the teachers. Our kids are learning about different cultures and they enjoy it. It is a brand new building with great security. They also have music and gym classes during the preschool day at no extra charge. I feel totally safe with having my kids at the JCC.
Hope this helps. I toured a lot of preschools before finally deciding on this one. I know it can be overwhelming and a lot of work to find the right fit.

I am also looking for a pre-school for my 3 1/2 year old son for the next school year. Harwood Hills Country School in Los Gatos was recommended to me. His father has already been there as he and his wife are looking for a place for their son (he's 15 months). He said it was run well, fairly reasonable class sizes and a close knit staff. I've looked over their curriculum and it seems to have a good balance of academics and free play interaction for the kids. They have a website if you are interested.
I have also recently been hired on at the APJCC/Club One in Los Gatos, which also has a school. I believe it starts at pre-school, although I'm not positive. It is a very safe place for kids and has a number of after school activities. I haven't checked this out for my son, but I have been told it is an excellent learning facility. In my experience at work I have seen how wonderful their extracurricular activities are. The staff is extremely friendly as well! I am not Jewish and it is not criteria for being an employee, a member, or student. Good Luck!

1 / 3