Looking for Gift Ideas

We have several aunts and uncles on my husband's side that we buy a small gift for each Christmas usually around $20 each. The gifts have to be mailed out of state. I am at a total loss for what to get them this year. Does anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive gift that will ship well? Thanks!

All of my family is out of state as well on my side and my husbands. We buy snd ship for many people because personally I feel gift cards are impersonal. You can find tons gifts for almost anyone at a place like Bed Bath and Beyond. One year we bought most of the guys on my husbands side a performance fleece from Old Navy and sent it to his moms house who sees everyone for Christmas. Maybe you could shop somewhere online that has a flat rate shipping fee and send it to someone to distribute.

L.,
The Entertainment Book is fairly inexpensive (varies depending on the region) and usually has some fun stuff for everyone and they can be bought for the various parts of the country that is closest to whomever you may be buying for and sent directly to them to save you the double shipping. That just popped in my head, but I will think of more when I'm not so tired. Good luck. W~

to SHELBY M:
Hi! I tried your site smingee.ordermygift.com and somethings wrong. Will you please post it again? I'd love to check it out! Thank you! ____@____.com

Gift cards, particularly to book stores are a good bet.

The nice postage stamps (that you have to wait in line for) at the post office. Practical yet somewhat special to have a special poet or glamour icon when paying a bill or sending a thank you note.

I agree with Dyreka that gift cards would be the easiest thing to ship & probably is the most practical gift. Don't forget to include a picture of your darling daughter. Something you might want to consider if the family agrees is drawing names. When I was younger because my father's side of the family is very large we would draw names at Thanksgiving. We had 2 different drawings 1 for the kids & 1 for the adults.

L.,

LOL I was just coming here to chime in with "gift cards" as well!

Why not just do the tried and true gift card idea? You could get them each a gift card for someplace that you know they frequent. Almost every store or chain of stores offer gift cards and of course they can be mailed for the same price as a regular card.

I heard this on the radio the other day and am all for making it a tradition.

Everyone has clutter, and who needs one more thing collecting dust around the house? There are those who are not doing very well in today's economy and food banks are getting hit hard. The idea I heard was to purchase canned food, take a picture,a nd donate it in the name of the relative you would otherwise get "a little something for." They'll appreciate the gesture and everyone comes out well.

Enjoy the holidays.

I would suggest a gift card to their favorite store/restaurant.

Gift certificates are great!

I have seen tons of Gift card responses. I try to go more personal than gift cards. You can go to smingee.ordermygift.com There you will find a collection of gift albums that you send and the recipient chooses what they want out of the catalog you purchase. You don't pay shipping to get the catalog and the recipient doesn't pay shipping on the gift either. I love these and use them for all of my out of town gifts. The lowest catalog is $25.00 but when you buy 4 the 5th one is free which will bring your price to $20.00. The other cool thing is unlike a gift card the recipient doesn't know how much you spent and when you look through the catalogs to choose your gift, you would feel the giver spent much more than $20.00.

I hope this helps you out.

Hi L. - Being a bookstore owner I am always for reading and giving books as gifts. Why not send a book to everyone this year. There are so many self help books out there to help with the stresses of the economy and just everyday life. And plenty of fiction books to just get your mind away on a mental vacation. If you tell me a bit more about your family members I could send you some recommendations for each one and of course also ship them these books. Just a wonderful thought.

You could do gift cards...or maybe a movie they might like with some popcorn. Those would be very slim small gifts, easy and cheap to ship!

Hi L. - Don't know if you would be interested but we have many things in Mary Kay under $20.00 - I would wrap and ship for you at no extra charge. Let me know if you would beinterested in seeing someting from the product line in your price range. We have beautiful gift sets right now - it also helps that I am running a Sale for November :0) Get in contact with me if you are interested.

I'm always a fan of the photo gifts from Shutterfly or Snapfish. Ornaments, calendars, etc. Good if your relatives are close and would enjoy pics of your family. You don't give much other info. about your relatives but how about nice soap/lotions, scented candles, magazine subscriptions, picture frames, christmas ornaments, note pad and pen, book, gourmet coffee or tea or a nice box of chocolates?

One of my favorite gifts to give people is a magazine subscription. They are affordable and it's the "gift that keeps on giving"! There is something for everyone. Plus, you don't have to worry about shipping. And it's something people don't typically splurge on for themself.

L.,

I love to give books when I'm familiar with the recipient's interests and hobbies. If you shop and mail early enough, it will reduce the cost considerably. Another option would be to put together a small photo display (album, collage, multi-pic frame, etc.) of your family. Imagine the delight of your relatives when they share your gift with their family!

Hi, L. - I am a big fan of gift certificates. If you know their favorite stores, or favorite things, it can still be thoughtful - do they go to Starbucks every day? Are they big readers - Borders, Barnes & Noble? Online shoppers - Amazon.com? My husband's favorite is Home Depot. Land's End is another good one with universal appeal. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

HI L. and all other moms:)

I have started to design and sell stationery that can be customized for your preference. They are really fun and a gift that you can give to so monay. I have cards with polka dots, stripes, and even favorite team logos (Ravens, Redskins, college teams, etc.). I usually do 10 in a set with matching envelopes, 10 address labels that I package with some really fun, stylish ribbon. I have several (a lot) of designs available for children, adults, and even some that can be used for an entire family. The card can include a monogram, just initials, or the entire name of an individual.I have received all positive feedback from customers and would love to help anyone in anyway I can. Great gift ideas for the holidays~teachers, friends, family members, hair dresser, and so MANY MORE people you can shop for right here. Thanks and good luck:) If anyone is interested I would love to send some pictures of products I have done. Thank you!