Looking for Fun Things to Do with My 18 Month Old

I just moved to Elmhurst from Phoenix, AZ. Does anyone know of any fun activities around here to do with my 18 month old daughter? I was thinking of going to the Shedd Aquarium this weekend, but would like some ideas closer to home as well. Thanks in advance!

How about the Brookfield Zoo? My kids were raised on it and love it till this day. There's a petting zoo inside, everything you need to eat or drink nd the largest assortment of animals in one place you can imagine. Have a ball.

How about Pirates' Cove in Elk Grove, IL? Actually not sure how much longer they are open this year, but it is like an outdoor amusement park for little ones. Not too big, lots of rides for younger kids. It is $9/kid and parents are free.

Indoors, I think there is a DuPage childrens' museum (I've not been to it) and we really like the Kohl Childrens' Museum in Glenview. They have all these activity areas, and in each one there is a special area sectioned off for younger babies. We have enjoyed going there since our daughter was about 1, we have the membership where you can use your card at a bunch of other museums including Navy Pier and possibly dupage.

I live in Villa Park (next to Elmhurst) and there is lots to do. I have a Childrens Museum membership which covers Dupage, Kohls, Wonderworks and more - all great for $110 per year, I think. Brookfield Zoo is great. In Elmhurst, I like Wilder Park and Berens (The Hub) has a cute splash pad that closes on Monday. It is only $2 each and really cute at that age. The libraries have lots going on. The park district does too! There is also Jumps N Jiggles in Elk Grove that is a little drive but really cute for that age.

I also organize a local moms group which is fun. Anyone can check it out at www.myplaytimes.com Welcome to the area!

take her to cosley zoo in wheaton...great place!!!

Grab your bikes and go for rides (or even just walks) on the Prairie Path.
Get your daughter a library card & get board books or puppets that you can play with together.
Have a BBQ in the park.
Take her to the Morton Arboretum & teach her about trees and flowers.
Utilize your park district facilities (parks, pools, etc.)
I could go on for days! :)

We became members of Brookfield Zoo when my daughter turned 2. I live in Villa Park, one town over from you so it's only 15-20 mins away. Not only does my daughter love to see the animals, but there's a carousel and parks she can play on. We only stay for about 2 hours, which is nice about the membership - you don't feel like you have to stay for hours to justify the entry and parking costs. She absolutely loves it. In the wintertime, I take her to Pump It Up in Elmhurst (off Lake St. where Rt. 83 intersects). She loves that too - there's also Monkey Island in Melrose Park, which is a similar concept as Pump It Up (indoor inflatables) only this one is much larger with a climbing gym and there are no hour limits (at Pump It Up, you can only go to "Open Jump" T-W-Th from 9:30am - 11am.). You could try the Morton Arboretum but my daughter didn't really take to that very well. Finally, Elmhurst has fantastic activities with their park district for toddlers. I signed up my daughter for their baby gymnastics class but they have art and music classes and the facilities are really wonderful. Lastly, you could also join your local YMCA - we belong to the one in Glen Ellyn (though there is one in Elmhurst) and my daughter has been attending swim class since she was 6 months.

I hope that helps!

Kohl's Children Museum in Glenview IL

There is the DuPage County Children's Museum in Naperville. It's just north of the downtown area on Washington. Lots of hands on activites and fun for kids. My son just turned 2 and has been dozens of times and has fun each time. Here is their website: www.dupagechildrensmusuem.org. There is also the Cosley Zoo in Wheaton on Gary Ave (www.cosleyzoo.org). Definitely not as large as Brookfield Zoo or Lincoln Park Zoo but fun for younger kids. The other suggestion, a farther drive from Elmhurt, is the Kohl's Childrens Museum (www.kohlchildrensmuseum.org) up in Glenview. Very hands on and just wonderful for young kids. I feel it's worth drive and is a little bit better than the DuPage County one.

1 / 3