Looking for Book Suggestions for Advanced 5Th Grader

My niece is a voracious advanced reader going into the 5th grade. I'm looking for book suggestions for her birthday. Thanks!

My 12 yr. old son is an advanced reader. Some of his favorite series books are:
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson and the Olympians
The Bartameaus Trilogy
Eragon/Eldest/Brisingr series
The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings series'
The Graveyard Book adn Coraline, by Neil Gaiman
Many of the girls in his 6th grade class were reading the Twilight series.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

When I was that age (and a bit older) I LOVED "The Babysitter's Club" books. I also used to really like "Animorphs" - if she's into "sci-fi" kind of stuff. I don't know if they are still considered "cool" nowadays, but I think they are pretty much 'universal' ;)

In 5th grade my daughter loved the Lightning Thief series by Rick Riordan -- could not put them down!

My daughter just finished 6th grade and enjoyed a small series of books called something like(can't remember exactly, and she is sleeping now so I can't check) The Mother Daughter Book Club. In the books, the Mothers/daughters read classic books, so it give the reader an introduction to them. She devoured them and is waiting for the next one to come out.

I LOVED the Libba Bray Books and recommended them to many of my middle school students. :)

Go to www.amazon.com
its great because you can read the reviews there of the books. Just do a search on Amazon for 5th grade books... to get ideas. Or, go to your local library, and they usually have book lists per grade, on what is recommended. Or ask the Librarian.
You can also go to the Barnes & Noble website and look up books for her age group. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/ages-9-12-books/379001104...

Susan

In addition to all the other great suggestions you rec'd, you have to add The Giver by Lois Lowry

And, I agree strongly (also as a teacher) w/another mom's advice to be careful w/your choices. Just b/c she CAN read it doesn't mean she SHOULD. Excellent advice that I would like to second!

Harry Potter
Percy Jackson and the Olympians
The Bartameaus Trilogy
Eragon/Eldest/Brisingr series

I used to teach 6th grade and I actually love young adult preteen literature. Some of my favorite books are, Al Capone Does My Shirts (Laundry) not sure its been a while, anything by Blue Ballet. The Wright Three is one of the books and Chasing Veneer is another. those are mysteries based on art pieces, so cool. I may be wrong on the spelling. My daugher and I also read books together, and a really great one was Walk TWo Moons. That one will make you cry. She would pick out one month selection and then we would read them on our own and discuss and I would pick out the next. Great bonding activity and even an aunt could do this too. Also we got into the Holucaust stuff starting with Hana's suitcase and then we read more as she got older.

The Percy Jackson series (rick riordan) is awesome - the final book just came out.
You may also try 39 Clues - it's a series written by different authors (the first book is by Lightning Thief's Rick Riordan), it's interactive and comes with these clue cards, which in turn you can play with online.

1 / 3