Looking for Book About Puberty for 12 Year Old Son

HELP!
Can anyone recommend a book or books on puberty for my 12 year old son? He is an avid reader so hopefully not something babyish-he's rather scientific and factual. It would be great if the book was also about the emotional aspects (moodiness, etc.), as well as the physical ones. His dad and I have tried to talk with him, but he is too embarassed. I'd just like to give it to him so when he's ready he can read it and then ask us questions.
Thanks in advance!

My kids talk to me about everything. Even so, I bought a book for my daughter's about puberty and taking care of their body...and am looking for one for my son.

It has nothing to do with being embarassed (at least for us) but it's more of an issue that I might remember everything the book talks about. Plus there are ideas in there I might not have.

It opens doors, and so long as you talk to him in addition to him reading, I think it's great.

I bought a plain spiral notebook for my son, and let him know that if he had ANY questions at all, he could write them down and pass the spiral on to me. I would write down my answers to his questions, and pass it back to him. I also bought him a book called All About Your Body...for Boys. This worked great as I'm a single mom and his father is not in his life.........he, too, was embarrassed. Hope this helps.

I would highly reccomend that he read a book called Not Even A Hint; by Joshua Harris. Another one is Every Young Man's Battle; by Steve Auderburne and Stoker. My son is 20 and he said that your son should read Not Even A Hint first. I would also suggest that your husband read it along with him so that they can talk about it together. They are Christain men who write about Godly principles on the subject. In a world where society is telling our young people to do whatever they want and whatever feels good, these books teach them that there is a more postive way to life. Hope that helps, God bless and have a wonderful day.

Hi, D..

A great book on puberty is "Whats Happening To Me?" by Peter Mayle. At first glance you might think, because of the fun (and humerous) illustrations, that it's not what you have in mind. However, if you really look at it you'll find it's very informative and factual. It addresses puberty for both genders which is nice, because they have questions about what the opposite sex is going through as well. What I like best is that for this age group (my daughter is a very mature 10 year old), it gives age appropriate info. Not too much or too little, and the use of some humor lightens the touchy subject up enough for them to be a bit more comfortable... let's face it, we all need to have a sense of humor to go along with puberty!! I promise it isn't short on facts and answers! If he's especially shy about these subjects this book (which starts out reminding our youngsters that every adult, including their parents, has gone through puberty)may desensitize him some and help make it easier to discuss.

FYI - This book came to my attention because my God Daughter's Child Psychologist reccomended it. (She sees a psychologist because her mom deals with a serious chronic illness.)

~ T. K.

I'm not sure where you can find a book on puberty...try the library. But I suggest you and your husband continue to talk to him. He may be embarassed but I guarantee you, he's listening.

Find Our Bodies, Ourselves. It is a wonderful resource with lots of information about the body. It also addresses some of emotional and social issues that come up during puberty. It is a great resource about topics adolecents don't want to talk about.

I cannot stress enough the importance of communicating with your child. It may be a little uncomfortable at first especially on this subject but it will get easier. He might be more comfortable talking to just one of you though. Sometimes it's easier for a boy to talk to his dad about these kinds of things. Books are great and informative but they aren't enough. He needs to have someone he can count on to give him honest answers to any questions he might have. God bless!

I am a member of our local PTA. A few years ago, I saw a great show about this topic. I enjoyed it so much, I convinced my school district to have them come do a presentation. They will come (for a fee) and do a student program and parent program. This is a good ice-breaker to start the conversation with your son.
www.aimforsuccess.org is the website. They have a teen book, parent book and both are on CD (listen to it in the car together).

1 / 3