Looking for Advice- 8 Year Old with Wicked Gas Pains

We have an 8 year old daughter who is begging for a "stomach transplant" we've been to several gastros and she has had an endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy. She suffers from regular bouts of diarrahea and painful gas. Now we cut all dairy and dyes and most snacks sticking to carbs and protein, initially the no dairy seemed to work then she had a 4 day run in with Red dye (i gave her italian ices and twizzlers when the others were having ice cream- but red gatorade brought her to her knees and the light bulb finally went off). Now, even dairy and dye free she has horrible gas pains- gas you can feel because she is so thin. She is other wise healthy, happy and active. We don't know what else to do- but it is impacting her social life as she gets worried about getting sick at other peoples houses. I have dragged her to several specialists and they want to put her on heavy meds which will have side effects that don't seem worth it. Any ideas or suggestions? Also, she tested negative for celiac but she has an aunt and first cousin that have been diagnosed.
THANK YOU!

Well, we are still in process, but it appears the culprits are Red Dye, All Dairy and most recently all corn products- I so appreciate all of your comments.

Try cutting out all grain products, a gluten free diet. It sounds like celiac disease which can be relieved by no gluten. It really isnt hard to do. More and more people are realizing gluten can affect their digestion. http://www.gicare.com/diets/Gluten-Free.aspx
Last year I decided to go gluten free and have lost 40 pounds and dont feel constant hunger like I used to.

Does she drink regular milk? My friend had the same problems and she is lactose intolerant. She either drinks lactose free milk, soy mik or rice milk. Try the smallest container possible for a couple of days and see if she feels better.

Definitely get her tested for Celiac and ask about Crohns. After the testing, regardless of the results, put her on a gluten free diet.

Find someone who can test her for candida - otherwise known as yeast. Yeast can burrow roots into the small intestine. You could locate a NAET practitioner in your area, they could tell you if she has a problem digesting carbs and protein, wheat and fill you in on yeast. A naturopath and NAET healed my son of ulcerative colitis in a very short period of time. It may not be considered "traditional medicine" but when all else fails.....

remember when she was a baby, and you had to introduce foods 1 at a time for 3 days in a row before starting something new. whay don't you take something away for 3 days and see how she reacts to that (gas pain wise). sometimes it's not the one thing, but the combo of things that are being eaten. i couldn't understand if you took away carbs or not, but you might also take away brads, chips, potatoes. remember only 1 thing at a time and for 3 days in a row.

N. - I feel your pain (or your daughters). Both my daughters suffered from the same type symptom. My youngest daughter had it much worse. I took them both to a pediatric Gastro and thank god she was not so evasive we did do some blood work a few tests in which she drank liquid and they took x-rays (too make sure everything was flowing properly). Everything was fine (thank God). She was diagnosed with IBS and was given medication Prevacid that she had to take for 3 months everyday. No side effects - it actually healed her stomach, now 2 years later, she only takes it as needed. I do believe stress and diet can be an issue - best of luck - but try this med it worked wonders.

Keep a food diary, listing what she eats and how she feels after each meal.

Read about elimination diets. Basically you start by eating only a few things that you know are ok and you slowly add food, one at a time and track the reaction. Food allergies and intolerances are very hard to pin down. But once you figure out what it is, life is much better.

I have many adult onset food allergies (that's what happens when you keep eating food that your body doesn't tolerate well, eventually you become full blown allergic). My son has food intolerances. He had stomach aches all the time, constantly. We did the elimination diet and when we added back gluten, the gas started almost immediately. He didn't test positive for celiac, but he gets stomach aches and gas when he has gluten, so now he just avoids it. It was gluten for my son, but for your child it could be something else, that's why the food diary is a good idea. Your doctor will also find it helpful.

BTW, one home remedy that works for me is eating an apple every day and taking a teaspoon of honey when I have a stomach ache. It may help your child.

It's a slog, but worth it when your child starts feeling ok. Good luck!

Sounds like you've been to doctors, but could it be Crohn's disease? My son, who just turned 9, was diagnosed with it last Nov. He takes meds regularly, but no side effects, and the pain is gone. Good luck.

Has anyone ever suggested Gripe Water to you? I used it with my kids. They were younger but it worked. They had such bad gas it would cause them to throw up. Research it online and see if you think it might be worth a try. It is for infants but I am wondering if your doctor could recommend a dosage for your daughter. The normal infant gas drops did not work all that well with my kids so a friend suggested this stuff and it worked wonders!! I still use it with a few of them ages 2-4 but not with my 7 and 8 year olds. They don't seem to need it any more. Good luck!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gripe_water

I am sure Dr.s have tested for everything... but have they looked for Celiac's? Colitis? Crohns? Liver problems? There are so many Digestive Diseases that could be overlooked... just keep on trying specialists until they find out what is wrong with her. That is no way to live and the longer it happens, the worst it can become. My brother went several months with Ulcerative Colitis before he willingly got help, then it took a while for them to find the real cause of his issues... they rule out more minor stuff first...

1 / 3