Looking for Addive on Cold Sore Prevention and Treatment

My 6 year old step daughter recently just started getting cold sores. When she gets them they get really bad. They spread from one side of her lips to the other and will have them on both lips. She cries in pain over these things. We have been putting chapstick on them but they seem to take 1-2 weeks to go away. I was wondering if anyone knew of any over the counter remedies.

Thank you everyone for your advice. We are going to try the whole L-lysine thing to try to prevent them.

Hi there. I am 25 years old and have been getting cold sores since I was a teenager. I know how awful and painful they are, and they spread sooo quickly. I have used everything, all the creams, chapstick, you name it, and nothing has helped me. then someone told me about L-lysine. It is a vitimain supplement you can buy at rite-aid, or any local drugstore, it is very inexpensive. It is an amino acid and I take it as soon as I start to feel that little itch on my lip indicating a cold sore is about to pop up. It usually only takes one or 2 of these vitamins to completely heal my cold sore. It takes the swelling down, and most of the time, if taken soon enough, they don't even break open. They have been in my medicine cabinet ever since. You might only give her 1/4 or 1/2 of a pill because she is so young. Good Luck

I have dealt with many nutritional issues. L-lysine is great for cold sore. Remember, it is only one of several essential amino acids. Consider also supplementing a general amino acid supplement, containing the other necessary amino acids to keep her system in balance. Generally, a 6 year would take 1/4 the recommended adult dose.

try giving her Lysine (vitamin section ad pharmacy) on a regular basis - it helps. they do take 7-10 days usually. also md can give you acyclovir prescription to shorten the outbreak

I am 29 years old and I have been getting cold sores that bad since I was 10. (my lips would swell to the point of being measured at 1/2in away from my face)I first starting getting mine after I had the chicken pox. Since cold sores are caused by the Herpes virus you might want to figure out where the exposure came from...it is a little unusual for a six year old to get them.
I have tried all the OTC products and nothing really seems to work. Abreva is expensive and herpacin-l can be painful when applying. Your stepdaughter really needs to see a doctor about getting the right meds and you might want to keep a journal of when she gets them and what might be the causes of them...so you can avoid it in the future. For example with me I know that sun exposure, stress, illness and too much acid in food (such as oranges and orange juice)will cause them to occur. I know that going to the Doctor can be expense especially if you don't have insurance therefore I would recommend trying the Herpacin-L, applying it with a q-tip to avoid contamination and pain from the pressure. Also I have used neosporin when I first feel the tingle in my lips...but you need to be sure she won't lick it of since it's dangerous to the body if ingested. But getting medication from a doctor is the best thing to do!!

I can fully simpathize with her though they are painful...very painful. I'f you've never suffered from them it's like cutting your lip open pouring acid into the sore then trapping your lip in a vice-grip and pulling your lips away from your face. (sorry if that's graphic but it's the best way I can explain)

In a word...CARMEX. The kind in the tube doesn't seem to work as well. Get the kind in the tiny jar because it is thicker and seems to work much better. Good luck!

S.,

Cord sores are the herpes virus. There is no cure. This type I herpes virus stays dormant at the base of the neck when it's not active. Nothing over the counter or topical ointments do much good. The medicine acylovir and its variations is pretty safe and has been around for a long time. Please take your daughter to the doctor. She doesn't have to suffer like that. If she spreads it to her eyes, she can become blind. Better to take the meds and lessen the number and severity of outbreaks. There are many herpes viruses, including chicken pox and shingles. Millions and millions of people get herpes, II is normally genital herpes and stays below the belt, dormant at the base of the spine. Because of oral sex, I and II are not exclusive to their usual region.

Abreva is good, so is a Lysine supplement, Carmex never worked for me when I had cold sores, but Viractin did - dried it out pretty quickly. Also, 4-6 oz per day of the purest grape juice you can afford will help prevent... they recently did some study published in the New England Journal of Medicine on that one, it's not quackery! :) (I had cold sores as bad as that when I was little, too.)
E.

i get cold sores every once in a while i use abreva its expensive $15 for a tiny tube but when i use it my cold sores only last about 5-7 days but i believe ive heard of something called herpacin its less expensive and supposedly works just as well when you use chapstick your just spreding the virus i wouldnt use the chapstick anymore when she gets coldsores no one should eat or drink after her sorry but no kisses either good luck

Yes Abreva is very expensive but it does work. It runs about $7 a tube. And the tube is small. Also another OTC ointment that may work for her is camphophanique.(not sure if i spelled it right), but that works really well.

HI, S. I AM RESPONDING TO YOUR QUESTION. THE BEST THING I HAVE FOUND TO CLEAR THAT UP IS CALLED ABREVA. IT IS A REALLY SMALL BLUE TUBE. IT COSTS ABOUT $12.00 AND IS ALL WORTH IT. IT WILL CLEAR THOSE UP IN MATTER OF DAYS. IN THE FUTURE IF SHE STARTS TO FEEL ONE POPPING UP OR YOU SEE IT, PUT ABREVA ON IT AS SOON AS YOU SEE IT AND IT WILL STOP THE BIG BREAK OUT IN ITS TRACKS. AND CLEAR IT UP.

1 / 3