Looking for a Preteen Magazine

My 12 year old daughter LOVES to read. A couple of years ago I got her a subscription to "Discovery Girls". It is a GREAT magazine and she loves it. It is for girls 8 and older. She will be thirteen this year and I would like to find another magazine for her. She requested "Seventeen" but I'm not too keen on that. Any ideas? She plays sports, loves to read, likes music and hanging with friends.

Thanks to everyone for all the ideas. I have a feeling I will be trying more than one. I will be looking into them all and I'm definitely interested in checking out New Moon, Brio, and Girls Life. Thanks again, T.

The Cricket Magazine Group from Carus Publishing has great magazines for all ages, toddlers through teens. www.cricketmag.com
The website has sample pages you may preview. If you sign up for their mailing list, you will receive special offers for $5-7 off each subscription. My 16 year old neice loves the Cicada magazine; her 12 year old sister likes Cricket, but is probably ready for the next level.

not a magazine, but a book you may consider...

Girls' Book: How to Be the Best at Everything, Girls' Book Ser.
SKU: 09780545016292

I just bought it for my niece & she loves it. My niece is 10, but the book is geared for older girls as well.

I have a 13 year old who loves to read and we got her a subsription to BRIO magazine from Focus on the Family. She loves it and thinks it is "cool" and I think she is gleaning some great information. You can get more info at briomag.com or focusonthefamily.com

Focus on the Family has great magazines for kids of all ages. They are age appropriate and still filled with good stuff. I totally agree with you holding off on Seventeen, that is way too old for her.
Here is a link to a magazine site: http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=TwiI6a2ZRy0&a...
In the Children's section there are several pages to choose from. I found several age-appropriate mags in the teens section, too.

American Girl is an ad free mag designed for girls 8-12 that provides "age-appropriate alternative to teen magazines, and features original fiction, lively nonfiction, party plans and projects, advice, quizzes and more."

About Girls' Life: The perfect magazine for girls ages 10 and up. Friends, fashion, quizzes, celebrity interviews and self-esteem. Parent's Choice award-winner!

About Calliope: CALLIOPE is the perfect world history magazine for kids. Specially written for kids ages 9 to 14, Calliope goes beyond the "facts" to explore provocative issues.

About Ahead of the Game: This full-color puzzle magazine offers something for everyone & promises HOURS of fun for all ages with its variety of challenging puzzles, interesting & informative articles, invaluable contests, & so much more.

About New Moon: Edited by and for 8-14 year old girls, New Moon is the beautiful, international magazine that girls, adults, and families love! Celebrating girls in all their diversity, New Moon is for every girl who wants her voice heard and her dreams taken seriously. 48 pages, no ads

I hope that helps!

Here's a really good magazine article from AFA Journal which addresses your very concern from a Christian perspective. See: http://www.afajournal.org/2005/october/1005teenmags.asp

The article lists the teen magazines to avoid and why (mostly too much detail on sex and negative body images etc.), and also gives a list of parent approved teen magazines to check out, most being Christian but not all. I list a few below. All of the magazines are very teen girl... there's fashion, book reviews, music, movies etc.

If you're not too concerned about her perusing the net, direct her to this really decent online christian magazine aimed at teen girls:

http://www.briomag.com/briomagazine/spiritualhealth/

For more magazine lists go to:

http://christianteens.about.com/od/christianentertainment...

Last but not least, what about National Geographic, or a magazine for adults, but focused on a hobby such as photography, quilting, scrapbooking, crocheting, cooking etc.

Hi T.,

This is the first time that I am responding to a mamasource inquiry but I feel so strongly about New Moon Magazine that I want to tell everyone about it. It is a magazine for adolescent girls that celebrates diversity and multiculturalism. It has no advertising, but instead stories, essays, poetry, articles and art by and for girls. It is a forum for girls to celebrate who they are as unique individuals without the aweful Hollywood stereotypes.

Good Luck,
J. - mother of 10 year old twins

My in-laws recently began subscribing to Seventeen magazine b/c my father-in-law wanted a teen magazine to have in his office for older kids. My mother-in-law was proof-reading it to see if it was appropriate b/c it is a pediatric office and has been VERY taken back by the articles. She said that there was even an article about how to get your boyfriend to have sex on the beach. Looks like people have sent you a lot of great options. Hope you find something your daughter will enjoy.

I loved Highlites magazine as a kid. There is also Kids Sports Illustrated.

My 13 year old daughter loves Brio. I also order Breakaway (for my 15yo son), Clubhouse, and Clubhouse Jr. for my other kiddos, all from Focus on the Family. We have all been pleased. I would just recommend that even with these "safe", christian worldview type magazines that you know its contents. They have opened the door for some great conversations with my daughter!

Hi T.,

I've been ordering BRIO (from Focus on the Family) for my pre-teen. She is 14 now and still reads it. I began ordering BREAKAWAY for my 13 year old son recently. I like the straightforward advice the writers give in their columns, very christian-based. I even find that my son and daughter will read the others magazine to get some insight as to what christian boys/girls are saying about them! I find myself reading them and then asking my kids what they thought about one article or letter, it really opens up communications!

Brio is about self-esteem coming from inside, not from make-up and skimpy clothing and other self-centered gimmicks like those older mags. Brio isn't about consumerism. It's refreshing! Stay away from Seventeen.

Hope that helped! B.

1 / 3