Looking for a New Car... Any Suggestions? - Seattle,WA

We will be in the market for a new (or certified used) car at the end of this summer. My Husband really wants a Ford Mustang (of course) but I would prefer something more "sensible".
We are looking for a car that is big enough to be our main family car (comfortable with car seat and a bit of cargo space to haul tricycles and shopping goods) but must have good gas mileage, as it will also be used for commuting.
He will not go for an SUV, Truck or Minivan... so a Sedan or similar is what we are looking at.
What do you drive and what do you love about it? What do you not like about your car?

Thanks so much to all of you! There were quite a few models mentioned that I hadn't even looked at!
We are still not sure what we will get, but I think at least the Mustang is off the table...

We have a 2006 Honda Accord (4 Door) which I absolutely love. It has the car hooks to put a car seat in easily and a decent amount of room in the backseat. The trunk is quite large and it gets good gas mileage. We have the V-6 so it has a lot of pick up and go. Very comfortable as well.

i have a 2008 5-speed hyundai sonata that i absolutely love. comfy for hubby and i and 2 young girls, and occasionally my mom too. good gas mileage...its my commuter. i got the very base model for under 10k and it has plenty of bells and whistles for me. it's also plenty peppy for me (i come from a family of race car drivers and tend to have a BAD lead foot).

Hi I., Just want to mention that my husband had a Kia and they patent their batteries so you can only have them changed at a Kia dealer...big pain in the butt! Also, give the VIN to your insurance agent and have them quote the insurance before you buy, could make a huge difference in what you pay. Happy car shopping and good luck!

My husband drives a Prius, and we both love it. It has a huge trunk, a surprising amount of space in the rear seats (make sure you get in one, because they look smaller from the outside than from the inside!), and the gas mileage is terrific! My husband gets around 40 miles to the gallon! They drive like Toyotas drive (some people like that, some don't) and the computer system is fun for my husband (I find it a bit overwhelming, but I'm not into electronics that way). I personally love my Honda Odessey minivan because with 3 dogs and soon-to-be 2 kids, I like all the space! But driving my husband's car is certainly more fun.

P.S. Although it was recalled and they had to install a fix, which any used car that is certified will have as well, my husband and I never had any problems with the Prius acceleration. My parents both drive Priuses, and they never did, either.

What's your budget?

I would not drive or ride in a Toyota after the latest news on that company. I've had a Ford before and it was awful. We had a Jeep Cherokee that was great and a Chrysler Town and Country that was great as well.

That said, we LOVE Mercedes and since we bought our first one, we will never drive anything else.

I currently drive a CLK 350 which would be too small for a family. It has 4 seats but is a good 2 seater car. It is scheduled to be daughter's car in Dec when she turns 16 because it will be 4 1/2 yrs old and in mint condition except not her favorite color of gold. Oh well.. it is white and a 2007.

Hubby drives an E350 and LOVES it. It is a great sedan, good for 4 people, good space in the trunk, he never takes the gold clubs out and we still have room for everything.

We have a new SL550 on order for me for December'ish when we hand over the keys to my CLK.. It would not be a family car, it is a 2 seater convertible.

We can't say enough good about our experience with Mercedes. They do have some more affordable sedan models....check it out. They are very safe and top quality.

How many people are in your family?
We have a Subaru Forester and we love it. It is a smaller SUV and has good mileage. Subaru also has the Outback which is more like a station wagon. It has plenty of room for hauling things. All Subaru vehicles are all wheel drive, even the Sedans so I find that comforting to know that it can handle different kinds of weather. I have found the Subaru vehicles to have reasonable mileage because it is an efficient car.
Volvo also has nice station wagons. My bro-in-law drives one and would not drive anything else.
We got a Honda Odyssey 2 yrs ago and the mileage isn't as great as I thought it would be. I wish we got an Outback instead.

How about the new Honda Crosstour? The Acura's are also nice - and very reliable, while fun and sporty to drive.?

volvos.. we have an xc90.. we have had the sedan s80.. great too.. lots of trunk room and safe.. we bought ours at barrier bellvue used certified.. love them.. check out their used online section on their website.

we have a ford flex. its a crossover between an suv and a car.it has alot of room and it fits 8 passengers.goodluck : )

1 / 3