Looking for a Daycare That Is Open Late and on Weekends

Updated on February 02, 2006
J. asks from Jacksonville, FL

My husband and I don't get to work the normal 9-5 schedule. We work late evenings and every weekend but it seems that none of the daycare centers stay open past 6:30 and they are closed on weekends. This doesn't make sense to me. I don't know many people who work 9-5. So, I was wondering if anyone knew of a place that has a better schedule? My husband and I have a place on hold but again it's M-F 6:30am to 6:30 pm and we may only need the center 1 or 2 days during the week and they don't do part time so we have to pay the full time price of $149 a week!!!!!!!! I am trying to find a place close to Atlantic Blvd and Baymeadows Way, if possible.

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

answers from Jacksonville on

Have you considered a home provider? Many people keep children in their home. They're licensed by the state and might be just what you're looking for. I tried this for my daughter but was unable to get in, they were all so popular. The city of Jacksonville has a GREAT childcare referral service, and it's free:

Childcare Referal Agencies: FL
Home / Childcare / FL

Business Hours
Monday 7:30 AM - 6:00 PM
Tuesday 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Wednesday 7:30 AM - 6:00 PM
Thursday 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Friday 7:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Saturday
Sunday
Jacksonville Children's Commission

421 W. Church St., Ste. 201
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Regular Phone: ###-###-####
Tollfree Number:
Email: ____@____.com
Website: http://www.jaxkids.org/

Translation Available: Yes

Services Offered:
- Consumer education & referral
- Parent workshops
- Child care scholarships/subsidy
- Recruitment, training & TA for providers

They sent me a list of providers within so many miles of my work address. You can specify which type of provider you prefer, as well.

Hope this helps!

B.W.

answers from Jacksonville on

There is a place on Monument Road called Kids by the Hour that is open late and on weekends. You might give them a call and see if they any other locations closer to Baymeadows.

answers from Jacksonville on

HI J.. A mom I know told me about a place called Playstation on San Jose Blvd, in Mandarin. I haven't been and my husband & I will check it out, this weekend. But you can pay by the hour and they are open on Sat's from 6am-midnight. Or something like that. I'll let ya know what I think, after Sat. Good luck.

J.S.

answers from Jacksonville on

Hi there, My name is J. S., How is the daycare hunt coming along?? What I can tell you from driving around and calling is that I haven't found one yet. I know from running my own daycare that most do not want to do late nights and especially weekends. I had so many parents ask for those hours. If you need a babysitter I still watch children in my home any hour and any day of the week. Give me a call at ###-###-####, maybe we can meet up if your interest. Have a great day.
J. S

T.L.

answers from Jacksonville on

I'm not sure if you just want your child in a daycare, or if you would consider home care. But I thought I would write just in case we could work it out. I am a preschool teacher. I just had a baby and want to stay home, so I want to keep 2 kids in my home. I'm not sure about your schedule, but maybe it could work out. I live off of Atlantic and Kernan. I was planning on starting the week of April 10th. If you may be interested and would like to talk about it let me know.

Next question: Looking for a Hair Salon in Jacksonville