Looking for 2 Year Old Birthday Party Ideas

I am looking for ideas for my sons 2nd year old birthday. Iam doing it at my house but would like to have many activitys and different things. Am getting a jumper, but am looking to add other fun things, just not sure what? We have about 30 kids thats not including all the adults! The kids ages are 18 months - 6years old.

I too was going to have it at my house but we decided on My gym. Anyways, when I was going to have it at my house I was also going to do the jumper and was looking into having a "bubble guy" come perform. My daughter loves bubbles as do many other toddlers. Good luck with planning!

The 2 year olds don't have a long attention span. Maybe set up a craft table where they can make their own party hats. Also most parties I go to lately have pinatas.

If you haven't already sent out the invite to 30 kids, don't do it! I have attended many, many mega parties for kids of all ages over the years and the parent's have seldom said it is worth it. Instead, they have the added stress of constantly trying to top the experience each following birthday. I suppose it depends on your kid and your family dynamic (if you have a big family with lots of kids, then you have no choice) but my son and now my daughter seem to prefer smaller parties where they can do something really special with their friends (last year my daughter opted out of a birthday party other than with the immediate family so she could go up to the mountains and play in the snow with her best friend. She has already put in the hint to take one or two friends to disneyland for her next birthday, which in my opinion is probably still less expensive than feeding, entertaining and gift bagging 30 plus people!)

Here are some ideas that have worked for me and my family in the past.

Pick a simple theme and run with it.
You didn't say the age ranges of the kids, but if they are all around two you can keep it pretty simple.

we did an astronaut theme and made "rocket" packs that the kids decorated and the grown ups did rockets (with alka selzter or something I can't remember it was over a decade ago) - again the kids got to decorate the rockets. Decorations were easy, stars - blow up "earths"

Another year, we did a circus and the kiddie guests all brought a circus animal and did a parade- we set up a bean bag toss, lawn bowling, they did "acrobatics", you could get a clown, etc.

we did an art party where each kid got an artist apron, we set up art supplies, made slime and goop, kid's decorated their own party hats, decorated their own cupcakes.

we did a dinosaur hunt that everybody loved, grownups and kids of all ages. We had a dino egg cake, but we also made chocolate/peanut butter treats that we called dino droppings. We set up dinosaur puzzles, we set up "excavation" tables where the kids all dug for "dinosaur bones," and everyone made dinosaur decorations - pictures of dinos to color, dinosaur foamy stickers, played dinosaur movies, etc.

Of course, these were easy to do because the party size was small - maybe ten to twelve kids and a few grown-ups.

HI M.,

Do you have a theme? If so, follow with theme colors and activities. For example, I just had a 1st bday party for my daughter and the theme was elmo. I used red, blue, purple, orange & yellow for the colors of tablecloths and balloons. I put a "kids" table up with elmo & sesame st coloring books, a construction pad for kids to design a bday card for the bday girl. I had "bowling" made from 10 emptied water bottles & filled them with water and food coloring. I bought goldfish and put them on each table (Dorothy). I had pre set activities for the kids. I had a word scramble and small prizes for the kids. had a bowl of goldfish crackers (count the goldfish), I hid all of the goodie bags around the yard so the kids could go on a goodie bag hunt. All of the kids had a great time and loved the games.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
If you need anymore suggestions, I'd be glad to help!

Good luck and have fun!

Hi there, I suggest making some little stations similar to what they do at pre-school. There could be a coloring station with print outs realting to the theme of the party that they can color and decorate. You could also have a digital camera and printer so they could have a photo to take home that could be the thank you card for their attendance and gift. Saves you time and postage later... A photo with your child and each guest that you print is a great party favor. Maybe a craft station where they paint something - they have many tings liek wooden cutouts or ceramics they can paint and it also makes a party favor as well. If there is an older family member or friend you could have them do face painting - provide a choice of two to four and then they could all have that done on a arm, face or back of hand. Hope this helps. Have a great day and party.

Get a huge king size sheet and let the kids go to town coloring it...you can mark in the middle with your sons 2nd Birthday memorabilia...give it to him when he's older. First maybe have everyone sign in on it with permanant marker so that some of it looks nice then let the little one's go to town:)
Upon entering: Kids get a goodie bag with a hat, blower and tickets to 4 things:
1. Doll house pic with the baby(Someone(older sister)nothing fancy takes a photo of the child and gives it to them Polaroid
2. fish 4 a prize
3. jumping house
4. paint/tatoo yourself

buy the time they did it all, they got to have dinner/ cake and go home.

There were 2 lines for food:
Adult--Chinese cuisine
kids---- chips/ hotdogs/ chili/ pizza

Less waste and a lot of fun. Magic show/balloon man and the train ride to follow.

The easiest and the best to me is the water slide. Kids are occupied the whole time and parents can sit around.

Wading pool for babies.

your child is 2...

In know it's impossible sometimes to keep the party list short...

Remember to have your little one take a good nap before party starts.

Know that if child gets too tired, all presents may not be able to be opened when child is present... instead, open the Grandparents gifts in front of them and then have a private open present time with few people. This way your child can enjoy with you.

Have fun, keep it simple and relax and enjoy your child.
Ask a neighbor to help cut cake and take pictures, so you can enjoy this magical age.

My boy just turned 2 in January. He has an older sister 5 yrs old. We hired a clown and she was terrific - totally entertained all ages. She dressed down the clown make-up so as not to scare the younger kids - perfect. She did balloons, face-painting, games and magic! Her name is Ella and her number is ###-###-####. I thought her rate was great for all that she did. We also purchased an empty pinata and filled it with toys from Cost Plus World Market - things like music rattles, bath toys, air blowers/whistles, lots of stickers and stamps and little trucks. I didn't want to fill it with candy. It was a bit more expensive to fill with toys, but I was wholly satisfied. We did cupcakes (I love Vanilla in Santa Monica - yum!) because they are just easier - no cutting no prep and look beautiful especially if you turn a box upside down and cover it with tissue or wrapping paper to make a tier of cakes... And cupcakes aren't that expensive really especially if you get a bunch of the mini-cupcakes for the little ones. I set the time for after his nap of course so it was a late afternoon party in our tiny front yard. I set up the baby/young toddler area in our living room. I hope you have a fun time however you do it - just try to be sure not to be hostessing the party during the party so much so you can watch your baby having fun! Ask a friend or relative if they will do that part and you can do the same for them next time! It made all the difference for me to be a part of the party!

Enjoy, L.

If it's in your budget, you may want to get a company like JW Tumbles to come out and lead some games or we were just at a 2nd birthday party with a clown who had bubbles, a little ball game, a parachute and did balloons for the kids too - they really enjoyed it.

Otherwise, for do-it-yourself options, bubbles are always a hit with this age range. Set out some larger containers and provide the big wands that you "swing" to create big bubbles. You can set out a table with craft supplies, have a section set up with age appropriate toys for the youngest guests and of course have some fun music playing so that the kids can dance!

1 / 3